• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Medication query

H

Hilda

I would really appreciate feed back on your experience with the best meds. For BP2. I have in the last year experienced rapid cycling from hypomania to depression within a two month period, about 4 times. I take Effexor 300mg and Lamictal 200mg right now. The Lamictal was prescribed a year ago.
Thanks in advance

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I would really appreciate feed back on your experience with the best meds. For BP2. I have in the last year experienced rapid cycling from hypomania to depression within a two month period, about 4 times. I take Effexor 300mg and Lamictal 200mg right now. The Lamictal was prescribed a year ago.
Thanks in advance
It took a while for Lamotrigine to take full effect but i do not find it very effective at preventing hypo/mania. It is a very good 'antidepressant' for me but i did need to add an SSRI after about 2 years because it wasn't helping as well with the depressions any more.

Effexor i was told had a high chance of causing a switch in mood in bipolar disorder.

Have you tried Lithium or Depakote?

I prefer not to take the antipsychotics unless it is urgent.

If you can try another 6-12 months with Lamotrigine, i would do that. I never seem to find a good balance with my bipolar disorder anymore but as long as i can function i am ok with that. I don't work, i would not be able to work full-time or a full day.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I'm no doctor but I'd put all my earthly goods on it being thanks to the fairly high dosage of Effexor (Venlafaxine). How long have you been on that?

S

SFGuy

Mixed states are my worst mood problem. Divalproex ER stabilizes those for me and hasn't caused its weight-gain/hair loss side effects (lucky me). I've been on it for 4 years. To prevent depression, I am prescribed daily low-dose Ketamine and Dexedrine. Xanax XR daily for anxiety with more as needed. I have taken 400 mg Trazodone for decades, mostly because I can't bear the withdrawal syndrome. I take Baclofen for sleep every night. It took my psychiatrist a long time to get a mix that works, but it's kept me stable for several years.

S

SFGuy

Most the time, it seems like more than 6! I would object to taking so many -- I'm not completely nuts -- but each one does something that makes my life better. My doc's motto should be "Better Living through Chemistry," but Monsanto already trademarked that one.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Touché! 😄

I take one (and have a PRN medication if needed, which isn't all that often) and mixed states have been without doubt my worst foe, although not my only foe. I take Depakote (Valproate) as my mood stabiliser.
I don't like the idea of multiple drugs as on paper it seems like a good idea "This one treats depression, this one treats anxiety, this one keeps mania at bay, they should all work!" but in reality it's Guinea pig territory as studies won't have been conducted on such cocktails. But hey, if it works for you, who am I to say anything!

S

SFGuy

Getting a mix of 6 drugs does make me a guinea pig. The hardest part has been finding meds that work, don't zombify me, give me daily headaches, make me impotent, or do something else awful. Like you, my miracle drug is Depakote. I feel extraordinarily lucky that its famous side effects haven't struck (yet). We all take different paths -- I'm glad yours is working well for you and keeps things simple. Figuring out my complex regimen was a pain, but has been worth it for me. Despite that, I could have an episode tomorrow that upends everything (I hope not!).