• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

medication for voices: yes or no?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

yes it helps. it dampens them a bit and relaxes.

chesterking

chesterking

What do u think?
You mean you've never took medication for your voices? I thought that was normal. My mother hears voices and takes medication for them. She takes quetiapine.

Kerome

Kerome

I think if you hear voices occasionally, like once or twice a week or once daily, and it's been that way for years, then there is not much chance of it getting worse and you can get away with not taking any. After all, the meds do have significant side effects. I would discuss it with my doctor though.

If you suddenly start hearing a lot of voices, on strange and curious subjects, multiple times a day, I would be cautious and start taking the medicines, especially if they are hostile voices. Such a situation can easily get out of hand to where you start taking orders from them, and that's a very treacherous, bad situation.

N

natalie

I had been suffering with a lot of so called muptiple voices, through trauma, stress, and not only was it driving my parents and my brother mad, me also. I was oriignally on one med, which didn't work for non less sedative and weight reasons, then, back in 2007, I was then placed onto a much better med. It is now 2015, and I am still on that very same med.

If the symptons of hearing voices becomes unbearable, stressful, and distracting, contact either a consultant you might be under, they can arrange for Crisis Team support, or better, Crisis Team directly, and they can then offer the possibility of medication. However, I was very ill, ,apart from the voices, so I had to have been put into mental health unit of hospital back in 2004. Back to front, I know.

So I would certainly say, speak to GP for a referral if necessary; and b) yes, I would definitely take medication depending how bad the severity of the voices are.

Natalie.