• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Medication (Fluoxetine) what affect will they have?

L

lildubs0_1

After being diagnoised with "Depression" i have been precribed Fluoxetine i have no idea what these tablets are going to do to me so if theres anyone whos been on these i would be very gratefull to know what effects these are likely to have on me if any........thank you x(y)(y)

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Hi - fluoxetine is the generic name for prozac. They belong to a group of anti-depressants called SSRIs - serotonin is believed to have an impact on mood, and these drugs slow down the rate at which the body absorbs serotonin. It is not quite clear how this works which is why sometimes people have to try various anti-depressants before they find one that works for them.

Fluoxetine and citalopram are the anti-depressants most often prescribed first as they both have not too many side-effects that are unpleasant to cope with.

Anti-depressants aren't "happy pills" but they can boost you enough to allow you to get on with life without feeling like you're dragging yourself through each day. Everyone's different so different medication will suit different people.

Have you been referred to see a psychologist or counsellor? Having a talking therapy as well as anti-depressants can help.

Take care and I hope fluoxetine works for you.

L

lildubs0_1

I thought it was prozac but i wasnt sure and didnt want to write i thought it was and look silly.
Im guessing i would be pretty silly not to take them ive just heard that they can make your thoughts worse??? (then they already are)
i dont really think that talking will work im not a "Good talker" more of a listener. im back to the dr in 2 weeks so we will go from there really.

Thank you (y)