• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Medication Advice

S

smolcat

I've been on a bit of a rocky road this year while trying to get on a medication that works for me. I've been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Depression.

Previously I was on Zoloft 100mg, which worked pretty well for the anxiety but the depression and cognitive issues got worse. I ended up coming off of it and switching to Lexapro and Xanax as needed. I don't take the Xanax that often because I don't want to develop a tolerance, and use it mostly for sleeping.

I don't think the Lexapro is working as well as I need it to. My anxiety is through the roof and it's really a struggle to function. My depression is also pretty bad and my cognitive abilities are getting worse, and I have no motivation and a lot of hopelessness and self loathing. The only thing I can say it does is that it takes a bit of the edge off by making me not constantly think about self harm and killing myself. But it hasn't stopped the self harm completely.

I have a psychiatrist appointment in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if I should change my medication completely or add a medication to the Lexapro.

T

TwinMum13

I hope you get something sorted soon.
Maybe your doc will add another in. I've heard SNRI are good for anxiety.
I'm sure someone else will help you more.
Hugs to you.

S

smolcat

Thank you! The appointment is tomorrow!

I'm hoping we can work something out. I'm going to ask about adding a medicine for anxiety on top of the Lexapro. Hopefully she has some good suggestions.

S

smolcat

It went pretty well! She gave me two options (one involved switching meds) and I chose to stay on Lexapro but add Buspar as well. Hopefully that works, but it'll probably be a couple of weeks before I see the effects.

T

TwinMum13

Glad it went well. It's always good to be given options too, feels like you are involved too.
What is Buspar?

S

smolcat

It's an anti-anxiety medicine that's longer acting but it isn't an SSRI or a benzo. It's supposed to be milder and is supposed to augment the effect of other medicines (like Lexapro.) Apparently there aren't a lot of side effects but I took the first dose last night and I feel really crappy. I had pretty much all of the physical side effects.