• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Medical Services Examination DLA Schizophrenia

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I claimed DLA on 27th Jan 2010.I gave all the information I could with the claim.I know that they haven't written to my psychiatrist or CPN yet.I have received a few letters saying that they haven't reached a decision yet which isn't surprising as they haven't consulted the professionals involved with my treatment.
Today I received a letter from Medical Services.They are to send an 'approved health care proffesional' round to conduct a medical examination.
They want me to tell:
How much help I need during the day and night
What problems I have getting around
On the day thet he/she visits whether my illness is better or worse than usual

This has pissed me off because I've already provided the DWP with this information in my claim.
I've phoned my CPN about it and she says she's never heard of this happening before which is worrying me.
Has anyone heard of this?I'd appreciate any responses on this as I dont know what's going on or what I should do for the best with this claim.I feel like complaining because the DWP haven't written to my psychiatrist or CPN.I feel like they are going to try and stitch me up so I dont get any benefit.What should I do?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Can your cpn or someone be there when the doctor arrives to represent you?

I heard one friend claim this dr came round to assess him and his wife, he told her my last gp threw me out i think he was frightened i'd knife him, he said the dr started shaking and saying i was knifed by a dr once, he said darling whatever needs to be said consider it said, he claims he got a phone call saying him and his wife would get dla at the high rate, the guys always making wild boasts

Have some documentary evidence to show them as well

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks rambo.
My CPN said she'd try and be there.
What sort of documentary evidence?

R

rasselas

The medical professional they assign to visit you in your home will probably be a normal doctor with little or no experience in assessing severe mental health issues. He will observe how you live, the state of your home and most particularly he'll make an assessment of you, how you come across to him. You are entitled to have someone with you like a care worker.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The medical professional they assign to visit you in your home will probably be a normal doctor with little or no experience in assessing severe mental health issues. He will observe how you live, the state of your home and most particularly he'll make an assessment of you, how you come across to him. You are entitled to have someone with you like a care worker.
In see,thankyou.
So if my home is tidy this will go against me?If I have a bath and shave this will go against me?If I ask him wheteher he is qualified to make an assessment of paranoid schizophrenia and he says no what should I do?

M

maudikie

maudikie.

It is well known that the claims forms for people with mental illness are complicated and unsatisfactory. The only thing I can suggest is that you get a medical certificate from your doctor, or better still from your psychiatrist. You can show them your prescription form, as I imagine you get repeat prescriptions. You might also get an advocate or someone who knows you well. Have you ever been on section - you could tell them if so, and in what hospital you have been.
It is very frustrating. I do not have the illness, but am a carer and it frustrates me.
Don't let it get you into a panic, and I hope that your C.P.N. will be able to be there.
Take care.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks Maudikie.
A medical certificate?What's that?
Yes I was sectioned in 2007,I'll be sure to bring it up.
I'm trying not to get too worked up about this,but I know that if I am to get any benefit I have to tick the right boxes so to speak.I have a tendency to play down my illness because of my illness.
My CPN and psychiatrist both say I should be on DLA.In the past I've been too paranoid to fill the form out properly.When I first applied I felt like there was nothing really wrong with me.I was not in the position to accept my diagnosis.Because I have recovered somewhat I can now see that I have been very ill and am able to accept that I am a paranoid schizophrenic.
I'm pissed off because I should have been getting DLA from 1997.I feel like the diagnosis should be enough without having to prove it myself.Had I been less severely ill I would have been able to jump through the hoops required to get the benefit.
I feel like I need to prepare myself for this medical so I can answer the questions properly and honestly.I'm not faking my illness to get benefit.If that was the case then I would have given up long ago.This is my 3rd application for DLA.If they turn me down again I will appeal.
How can it be right that I have a severe mental illness and yet receive no benefit?I know of people with less severe problems who are getting this benefit.It's just not fair.
Sorry for the rant!I'll phone my CPN about a medical certificate and se what she says.Problem is I know she is over stretched at the moment.Apparently she has to catch up on studies aswell as doing her usual rounds.
I'd appreciate any responses.What should I do to prepare for this medical?Would it be ok to write things down beforehand and read them to the Doctor who conducts the medical?

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm pissed off because I should have been getting DLA from 1997.

Typo.should read 2007.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My examination will be on the 22nd.Thats a week today.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I'm pissed off because i should have got dla from the day it was invented and the sick 30yrs ago, remember asking the gp to put me on the sick, he said "It's alabel and labels tend to stick" i was already diagnosed schitzoprenic, i thought to myself that will stick, he wrote to the psychiatrist saying he thought i was getting better

In those days most schitzos were signing on, it's the sort of thing people don't say when they go on about all those people going on the sick

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm pissed off because i should have got dla from the day it was invented and the sick 30yrs ago, remember asking the gp to put me on the sick, he said "It's alabel and labels tend to stick" i was already diagnosed schitzoprenic, i thought to myself that will stick, he wrote to the psychiatrist saying he thought i was getting better

In those days most schitzos were signing on, it's the sort of thing people don't say when they go on about all those people going on the sick
Rambo from your other post,what sort of documentary evidence?

I realise that I've not suffered under the system as much as you.What can I do to stop this happening?I've already been turned down twice. I was stupid to think that my diagnosis would be enough to get the benefit.But thats the past.What should I do?

S

skylark

I had someone help me with the forms from the council offices the c.m.h.t. put me in touch with them, my soical worker also made a statement on my form with regards to my illness. Can you see if the local c.m.h.t can help you filling the forms.

Sorry you have been refused for the 3rd time, thats harsh - you must say on the forms what you are like when your illness is at its worse, don;t be afraid to do that.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Things are relative, i've got friends who've had it worse, documentary evidence a psychiatrists letter with the diagnosis on it, a gps letter, it's help if you had someone with you preferably proffessional

I applied for dla got turned down twice "though he says he needs the care there are long periods during the day when he doesn't receive care"

Went to a tribumal they come in the chair said "you haven't been in hospital for a long time" i said "i've got a friend telling me to come off my drugs and go into hospital to get the money and help and if this goes on much longer i might just do that" then i pointed out the guy who threatened to kill me was getting dla and had a social worker and a friend had said "thats because he's violent" i also had this rethink benefit officer who pointed out that guidelines state that not receiving care is not a reason to turn people down, i also made a point of saying i was anxious and asking if i could go outside, that gave them a chance to discuss me in my absence

I'm glad i haven't had a home visit i worry they'd hold the computer video and tv against me though my flat is a mess, i had a visit from "The verification framework" for housing benefit

amathus

amathus

I was speaking with my CPN only yesterday and she says whenever possible she will go with the client to the medical. It seems that some people with severe and enduring mental illness are being made to feel threatened by the medical and interview, they are not really able to deal with it by themselves.
As has been said it would be a good idea if you could have somebody with you.

meteos.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks skylark,rambo and meteos.I really do appreciate the help.

Skylark- I've already filled the forms in in January.I did them mostly on my own with some help from my cpn.I fully intend to get help from wherever I can should this go to an appeal.
Rambo- I dont have any documentary evidence.I know that the DWP haven't written to my psychiatrist or CPN yet to get confirmation of my diagnosis.I'll be sure to bring it up.
Meteos- I dont know yet whether my cpn will be able to attend.My appointment is on a Saturday which wont help.I'll phone her on Monday.
My wife,who is also my carer will be there though definately.
If I feel intimidated then I will say so at the time.I do worry about being able to get across what I feel is important.Would it be ok to write things down beforehand so I dont forget anything?