Medical Records?

marcustwelve

marcustwelve

Does anybody know how one goes about requesting seeing their Psychiatrist (MHT) or GP records? I’m right in believing we have the right to see these if we want? Do you think it might be unproductive to make such a request?

The only reason I ask is that on Friday while at my GP appointment I noticed a letter on his computer dating back to 2007 from my psychiatrist stating I had Major Depressive Disorder. It just made me think what else they have down on my records.

Misha

Misha

If you want to view your health records, you may not need to make a formal application. Nothing in the law prevents healthcare professionals from informally showing you your own records. You can make an informal request during a consultation, or by phoning your GP surgery or hospital to arrange a time to see your records.
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68&subcategoryid=160

However if you want to make a formal request to see your health records you write a letter or email to your GP and though you have a legal right to access the info:

They can refuse your request if, for example, they believe that releasing the information may cause serious harm to your physical or mental health or that of another person.
So yeah. It might involve a fee as well to access your records.

lost and broken

lost and broken

from your doctor he cannot refuse , you have a legal right to see your record you have to write or email your doctors surgery and ask for a subject access request and they should have them for you within about 3 / 6 weeks

B

black and white cat

I read mine. I wrote a letter to cmht manager and they sent me a form. i sent it off with a ten pound cheque and 40 days later got my records. they were pretty shocking in that nurses write a load of shit and make stuff up... loads of them saying the most absurd things really. be prepared for a shock. oh and loads of stuff is missing. loads of visits/calls are not even logged. bluddy joke. the docs you thought were nice you realise are wankers and the ones you didn't like are actually smart and kind. pm me if you need any other info.

R

rasselas

Don't take looking at this stuff lightly. I've seen lots of people tipped over the edge by having a peep. Curiosity isn't always good for the cat.

A

Ainsworth

when i got some of mine (from the GP) she had to assess whether i was stable enough at the time to be given them. i think you can demand them by law but reading it whilst unstable doesnt help anything.

pentagram

pentagram

I live in Cumbria. I recently requested all my mental health notes from 1998 to 2000. It cost me £10 sent to where they keep all the records, it took 40 days and I got all the letters, notes, and assessments relating to that period. I have found them absolutley essential to the understanding of my problems.

I also requested my MH notes from Bradford for when I was under the care of psychiatrists in 1972. It again cost me £10 and the people in Bradford were very helpful and kept me informed of progress in their search for them but in the end found that they had all been destroyed as they don't keep all the notes forever. As they didn't find anything they sent my £10 back.

N

Northern

Don't take looking at this stuff lightly. I've seen lots of people tipped over the edge by having a peep. Curiosity isn't always good for the cat.
Such cases should be treated as iatrogenic IMO

A

AntipsychoticREFUGEE

I know what it looks like here in the UK but not the one of the country I left behind? Just verbal you're ADHD.