• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Med is killing my libido, is there any help?

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Hi Everyone,

I'm on 15mg Abilify, but I only started it 1.5 months ago plus I was withdrawing from Olanzapine, now I'm olanzapine free for 3 weeks (the devil's med!) all that time and it was extremely hard...

I think Olanzapine will be soon out of my system, and I hope to stabilise. Suffered from awful depression and sleep-lessnes during the withdrawal it was hell.

Right now my libido is so low, and it was very low on Olanzapine... I was hoping that it will come back on Abilify, but I don't know??? Maybe it's still new and I need to wait?

Can you please offer any advice on this? Is there anything I can do/take to increase it?

Wishbone

Wishbone

This is what these medications do unfortunately. You could counter it with supplements (if safe) but otherwise antipsychotics mean a damp squib.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I know your pain. Its a hard thing to cope with. Unfortunately side effects of a good thing can present their own challenges.

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

It's a nightmare, don't feel like a normal human being, but LOL how can you feel normal with bipolar???

It's hard because how can you be in a relationship while having this problem being sexually completely numb :( hate it.....................

HLon99

HLon99

Aripiprazole shouldn't really effect your libido; it might just be the long term withdrawral effects from the Olanzapine.

T

Turtlewithhope

Be patient and it will come back!

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Aripiprazole shouldn't really effect your libido; it might just be the long term withdrawral effects from the Olanzapine.
Thanks so much! :) I'm actually STILL withdrawing long long process... perhaps things will improve in a month OR two...

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Be patient and it will come back!
Thank you :) yes definitely early days.... I think I've been anxious that's why I posted this question. I guess wanted something to hold on to.... as olanzapine totally killed it.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Olanzapine kills everything, good and bad! That's like the Terminator of drugs.
After three weeks I wouldn't suspect that though as it should be out of your system within a few days, then you have the adjustments, then you have the new meds. Give it a couple more weeks if it's still the same then you know it's the Abilify too.

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Olanzapine kills everything, good and bad! That's like the Terminator of drugs.
After three weeks I wouldn't suspect that though as it should be out of your system within a few days, then you have the adjustments, then you have the new meds. Give it a couple more weeks if it's still the same then you know it's the Abilify too.
Exactly! Olanzapine is a TERMINATOR. I've been on it for years and years!!!!
My GP said another week, but my BRAIN needs to rewire... that takes ages.

Wishbone

Wishbone

But...if you were in an acute situation in seven months time and they put you on that, it would probably be the best thing for that time, so it's important not to think of it only as a devil drug, but perhaps as a potent drug that is very effective in the right circumstances; and at the time, you're not likely to agree that they are the right circumstances!

M

Mav2126

I love olanzapine except for the weight gain side effects. Its been a miracle drug for me. As for the libido issue you should also check your testosterone levels. Mine are low and I have zero libido - was getting testosterone replacement and it helped but stopped that treatment.

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

I love olanzapine except for the weight gain side effects. Its been a miracle drug for me. As for the libido issue you should also check your testosterone levels. Mine are low and I have zero libido - was getting testosterone replacement and it helped but stopped that treatment.
Why did you stop the testosterone treatment?

M

Mav2126

I got an endocrinologist for other reasons and he thought it was a bad idea to take testestorone for the rest of my life.

C

CabbageMama

Am I the only one who is the opposite?! 😳 I am single and a bit of a state, could do with a pill to kill my libido for now! 😂