• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Med change...

W

whatstheproblem?

I've currently been taking citalopram (for the 2nd time) for just over a year for depression and anxiety... Citalopram has always worked wonders for me - until 2 months ago when for no reason I was back to square one. My dr (who is fantastic btw) doubled my pills, however I have been becoming graduAlly worse. SO I am now cutting down and coming off citalopram over next 2 weeks, and on to something else... I have every confidence in my dr but worry tht even if the new meds work for a while, I will eventually be back at square one again. Just feel like there will never be any escape from my depression and ill always be like this... If there is nothing causing it then how can anything cure it? Dr wants me to see psychologist and psychiatrist but I don't see what they can do for me... Very confused and worried. Just don't want this hanging over me forever. :(:(

L

lonelyandlost

Hi
Sometimes we can convince ourselves that meds aren't going to work before we take them and when we do start taking them then feel they haven't worked, but it is only when we do come off them do we realise that they were doing better than we thought they were.
I know it can be hard to do, but try to put a positive feel on the meds before you take them so that they have a little chance of working :)

If there is nothing causing it then how can anything cure it?
So, how and why was you diagnosed with depression and anxiety in the first place? and in another post you mention SH, What made you start to SH?

J

jamesdean

Hi w t p you havent said which is the new meds I have no reason fo rmy depression it just happens,I take 45mg mirtazapine and it works wonders for me there is the odd occasion when it feels like its not working but my life pre mirtazapine to now there is such a huge difference,its not cured the depression but it makes it a whole lot more bearable Pre ad's I used to pray to die evry single night.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hiya, I've recently come off citalopram as well and on to venlafaxine. I think if you take one med for too long you get resistant to it so then it's time to change. If the citalopram worked to start with then there's no reason to assume the new med won't work. It might not, and if it doesn't, try another. I know what you mean about not escaping, I'm now at the stage where I'm assuming I'm on meds for life after nearly 9 years.

W

whatstheproblem?

Hey :) started taking mirtazapine a couple of days ago - was told to expect to be knocked out for first week of taking it but had a very sleepless night and wide awake today... Will take a few weeks before I know if it's doing anything or not- but really willing it to work. Really need to get sorted and back to work- can't survive on stat sick pay and phone has already been cut off, sure other things will follow. Getting into such a mess all from being ill... Wish there was something I could do to be ok again. :-(. Fingers crossed for these meds! Thanks for replys x

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Got my fingers and everything else crossed for you, let us know how you get on. :flowers: