• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Med change.

kurtcobain

kurtcobain

I have been on the same meds for years, namely tricyclic antidepressants.And more recently Carbamazapine (Tegretol). I believe i have either Bipolar effective or Schizo effective symptoms.I would like to know, would I benefit switching to Olanzapine in addition to my current meds, or perhaps ditching my current med COMBINATION for OLANZAPINE alone.As I know Olanzapine is used to treat Bipolar and Schizophrenia.I'm a bit concerned that the combination of meds may not be very beneficial, i.e may interact.I know Olanzapine targets additional brain chemicals, namely Dopamine- which is implicated in Schizophrenia.Please could someone advice me on this, and also relate their experiences of Zyprexa (Olanzapine).Does Olanzapine relieve depression i.e the Serotonin system?

N

NightShade

I can only give my own experiences of it, but for a short period olanzapine was brilliant for me. I was hypomanic bordering on full blown mania and olanzapine brought me down very quickly to a more "normal" mood. A month in though and I'm not noticing the benefits as much (although that could be because they're actually working well!). I'm tired most of the time, I struggle to get to sleep and when I do sleep it's for 8+ hours. Getting up is a nightmare as in I have to physically throw myself out of bed to get up and stay awake.

I also take an SSRI anti-depressant (sertraline with caution) and I've noticed my depressive phases aren't as bad as the major episode I had last year.