• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Med change triggered panic relapse

Shayfury

Shayfury

Hi folks. Im new here. Im currently going through an incredibly rough med change. I've been panic free for a long g time and with in the matter of a week I feel like I've gone into full relapse. I have panic disorder, severe depression, with agoraphobia. I was diagnosed in my early 20s and will soon be 40 next month. I feel so defeated right now. I sent want to do this my entire life. Im just wondered if anyone can identify. What do you do when it feels hopeless.
Thanks, Shayfury

T

Thebirdwhoreturned

Hi, it does sound familiar to me even if I never was on medication for a longer time. I was never given anything to stimulate my mental health. But when I had a bad and acute lower backpain, in Germany we call it "Hexenschuss", I was given a strong muscle relaxat to release me from my pain. After 2 days I felt like I would rather die then continue my life. It was as if some took all my will to live. So I stopped taking the medication immediately. I rather confronted me with doing stretching exercises to bend and train the muscles, that partly caused the pain I suffered from. I'm sure you can't stop taking your medicine this easily, so my best wishes are with you. What kind of medicine are you taking exactly and is it one or do you take anything else as well?
With best regards,
Lisa

Shayfury

Shayfury

I take two antidepressants and an anti-anxiety. One of the antidepressants is whats being changed. I went to the doctor today and she just told me to hang in there. She is referring me to therapy.... again. Which is great for about a week. Then its like the therapists just don't know what to do anymore. Im really hanging on to the hope right now that next week will be better. I'll go from there I guess

T

Thebirdwhoreturned

Hey, your situation is no easy one. It's good to wait and check for some time, if things work out. The thing is, sometimes medications react on eachother, or let's better say, they are able to make a bad mixture, that starts to enable the brain from its natural transmitter functions, so that it's not able of regulating itself correctly. Do you have a longer and trustful, good relationship with the doc, who put you on medication?
You don't have to sit and hope and wait. Look for what the descriptions tell you about the medics you take. Check online, how they work. Sometimes it's not just a miracle, but a chemical reaction, that had to lead to worse anxiety than befor. Stay critical. It's not respectles. It's your responsibility to make sure that you will be fine in future.

Best regards,
Lisa