• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Med Advice

R

RevMC

Hi all,

Thank you for existing here to support fellow sufferers. This is a big step for me to participate in a forum like this. For about 8 years now I have been in treatment for bipolar. I was primarily on a mood stabilizer (Lamictal) with Seroquel as PRN. Recently we switched to using both Lamictal and Seroquel everyday. I had to switch providers last month. This one would like to add an antidepressant to the mix. I am really really torn on this. Anybody have experience with this cocktail. I am trying to use a bowling alley analogy. The moodstabilizer keeps the bumpers. The Seroquel helps dampen the mania and the antidepressant helps keep lows at bay. But I am not jazzed about one more med.

W

WhatSarahSaid

If you're struggling, maybe giving it a try wouldn't be a bad idea, since it might help. I understand not wanting to be on a ton of meds though. If you find it makes no difference, you can always tell your doctor you want to discontinue it, and they can help you to slowly decrease dosage again.
But if you feel like you're ok with where you are, and would be more comfortable with other methods of therapy, tell your doctor that. Good luck!

Ruma55

Ruma55

I've always been on an anti-depressant personally- I see it as the trifecta of bipolar care, the anti-depressant, the mood stabilizer, and the anti-psychotic. I've tried to take one away before with bad results. I know a lot of doctors are reluctant to prescribe anti-depressants to people with bipolar disorder because of the chance of a manic episode. You should consider it though if you're having really bad lows they can really help. I was on 9 different meds at one point lol, now I'm excited to be down to 5.

R

RevMC

Thank you to you both! I really needed to feel the support and glean the insight. Ruma55, it's good to hear that there exists a common understanding of a "trifecta of bipolar care."
I am glad you are not on 9 any more! Stay the course. :) Thanks again!

R

RevMC

If you're struggling, maybe giving it a try wouldn't be a bad idea, since it might help. I understand not wanting to be on a ton of meds though. If you find it makes no difference, you can always tell your doctor you want to discontinue it, and they can help you to slowly decrease dosage again.

Thank you. I am not currently struggling but for whatever reason the doc thinks it would be a good longterm plan. You are right and it is helpful to consider I can always take control of the situation!

R

RevMC

I've always been on an anti-depressant personally- I see it as the trifecta of bipolar care, the anti-depressant, the mood stabilizer, and the anti-psychotic. I've tried to take one away before with bad results. I know a lot of doctors are reluctant to prescribe anti-depressants to people with bipolar disorder because of the chance of a manic episode. You should consider it though if you're having really bad lows they can really help. I was on 9 different meds at one point lol, now I'm excited to be down to 5.
Thanks, I really needed to feel the support and glean the insight. Ruma55, it's good to hear that there exists a common understanding of a "trifecta of bipolar care."
I am glad you are not on 9 any more! Stay the course. :) Thanks again!

E

Earl J

Hi RevMC and welcome to the forum. I too am Bipolar (2) and the “trifecta of bipolar care” works great for me. I take Lamictal that keeps me level, Citalopram that gives me a lift and Quetiapine (Seroquel) helps me sleep and keeps anxiety at bay. My dosage at the moment is Lamictal 100mg morning and night, Citalopram 20mg morning and Quetiapine 75mg night. I tweak the Citalopram down to 20mg from 30mg in late Spring because I get more Serotonin naturally from the increased sunshine, then I bring it back up to 30mg in the Autumn. It took me about 6 yrs and a couple of different psychs before I got the right mix but now I have been good for around 6yrs. Personally I think we should all try to tweak our meds down in Spring and back up in Autumn. I think if we leave our meds at the same level always that our brain gets used to them and as time goes by we have to keep increasing them. I have reduced all my meds down to a minimum level Lamictal from 150mg to 100mg Quetiapine 100mg down to 75mg. I wouldn’t feel safe going any lower so that if I get a bit of a wobble I just go back up to the original prescribed amount ! But before anyone thinks of doing this please contact your psych/doc.