• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Maybe Bipolar, scared to go to GP again, might not need to if I can mange the symptoms?

W

WillowOak

Maybe Bipolar, scared to go to GP again, might not need to if I can mange the symptoms?

So it's taken me a VERY long time to admit this to myself, and now here...

I've been experiencing some worrying symptoms that seem to point to Bipolar Disorder, for a while now. It started off with the dark, long, suicidal depression, then I started cycling from severe depression to extreme happiness quite quickly. I also became irritable and snappy with people I never would snap at (mum and little sister who's under 10). And have gone for several days without sleep easily.

I would become really hyper and say stupid stuff and make crazy plans. Then I'd flip for no apparent reason and become suicidal and have tried many times to end it all.
There are times where I'd become suicidal even when I was hyper?

I've been to the doc for the depression and had a horrific experience with the MHT. So now I'm scared to go back again and say all this stuff.

But after having a life changing realisation about self worth and how it makes no sense to hurt myself, that safety issue is gone. So my question is, do I really need to go and get an official diagnosis and possibly ruin the new resolve I have about staying safe and turning my life around? Is there another way to manage/cope/deal/maybe cure whatever is happening with me??

M

Myheadhurts

Hi WillowOak. A mood disorder, if you have one, is a tricky thing. My bipolar was making life hard on my family and definitely hard on myself which is why I sought medicine. I was doing the absolute best I could without it, but it wasn't enough. Some people might be able to manage it and keep it from affecting their loved ones, I just haven't heard of anyone yet, but I would also like to know if some can. Hopefully they will respond soon.

I

Ideservejustice

So it's taken me a VERY long time to admit this to myself, and now here...

I've been experiencing some worrying symptoms that seem to point to Bipolar Disorder, for a while now. It started off with the dark, long, suicidal depression, then I started cycling from severe depression to extreme happiness quite quickly. I also became irritable and snappy with people I never would snap at (mum and little sister who's under 10). And have gone for several days without sleep easily.

I would become really hyper and say stupid stuff and make crazy plans. Then I'd flip for no apparent reason and become suicidal and have tried many times to end it all.
There are times where I'd become suicidal even when I was hyper?

I've been to the doc for the depression and had a horrific experience with the MHT. So now I'm scared to go back again and say all this stuff.

But after having a life changing realisation about self worth and how it makes no sense to hurt myself, that safety issue is gone. So my question is, do I really need to go and get an official diagnosis and possibly ruin the new resolve I have about staying safe and turning my life around? Is there another way to manage/cope/deal/maybe cure whatever is happening with me??
First question are you on any medications? second question do you think focusing on it has helped it grow?

You are doing great. whats your living environment? are you happy at home, work friends?

W

WillowOak

Thank you for replying.

Not on medication, no. Was on ADs for a while but they made me worse.
I thought I was fine but yesterday I made a bad decision and don't even know how it happened.
But I still don't want to make it a bigger issue than what it might be. And I have been trying to ignore it rather than focus on it and it hasn't made any difference :(

Stopped work and have a couple of good friends. And home could be better.