Maths advice

J

J o r d a n

Okay first of all I should mention that I had an illness up until recently which lasted 2-4 years, it was a mental illness, and I've heard that with mental illness your memory can fade. That's my excuse for being disgustingly bad at maths anyway. Now that I have recovered, I know that I need to improve my math skills for future jobs, university etc. This part is embarrassing, but a few months ago I didn't even know how to do long addition or subtraction! I had forgotten literally everything involving maths that I learned at school. I have since worked on the basics like long multiplication,subtraction, addition and division and I now feel comfortable with this, but what worries me is that in September I intend to start doing a maths GCSE at home(for Americans this is the UK maths exam) and earlier on today I looked at topics in the GCSE like algebra, equations and formula. To keep it short, it terrified me. Is this a normal feeling considering I have never studied or learned these topics before? Is it possible to become more adept at these topics if I keep working hard at them?

I have from now up until September to prepare for the maths GCSE course. Is this enough time considering how rusty I am? if so, what topics should I learn next?

I know I sound like a complete retard asking all of this, but I'm desperate to overcome my difficulties with maths! So if you could give me some advice, it would be appreciated! Thanks

BlueGlass

BlueGlass

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes, I think it is very normal how you are feeling, I was the same, coz they are alien concepts to you right now. Long as you have a good book(s) that explains how to do them right from the basics, you should be fine. :)
Have you got textbooks specifically created for the GCSE you are doing? They will tell you all you need to know.
Good luck.
xxx

J

J o r d a n

Yeah I have a good book which covers the basics, and I know some good GCSE books that I could use. I heard the CD maths watch helps as well, so I will be buying that. I'm just concerned with maths, that you either have it or you don't, meaning you either get it and it clicks, or that it doesn't ever click. I'm concerned in my case it will be the latter. Regardless I will put maximum effort in, but I don't have much confidence generally and I get anxious when I don't immediately know the answers to questions. Thanks for answering though:)