• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Martial Arts and Mental Health.

U

UnderR

I've been contemplating on joining a martial arts class for a while now as a means of coping with my issues. I'm currently taking a gap year right now and after my high school finished, there's been a lack of routine in my life for a while now and since my mind has nothing to focus on my anxiety's been worse because I keep thinking of so many things at once.

Martial arts has been one thing I've thought about doing because I honestly want to buff up a bit and learn a hopefully useful life skill. Apart from that I also want to reintroduce a bit of structure in my life by having a weekly activity and to give me a place to release some emotions.

Would this be a good idea?
What martial arts would be best? I've been looking for Boxing or Muay Thai but since I'm practically a beginner I'm open to other choices as well.

N

Newuser6655

I've never done it before but apparently jiu jitsu is great for that

T E_90

T E_90

I know that Krav Maga is a good martial art for venting anger.

NoNameRequired

NoNameRequired

Dude knowing hsow to beat people up is a good skill. Honestly I think Judo is a very useful one, but that's just what I've heard.

U

UnderR

Dude knowing hsow to beat people up is a good skill. Honestly I think Judo is a very useful one, but that's just what I've heard.
Ah yes, self defense. Judo is one my dad recommends since he took it for a while but honestly not my thing, I have a lot of issues with falling and being thrown lol.

NoNameRequired

NoNameRequired

Ah yes, self defense. Judo is one my dad recommends since he took it for a while but honestly not my thing, I have a lot of issues with falling and being thrown lol.
Well, that is all I know. Good luck choosing dude.

LearntheEssentials

LearntheEssentials

I would rather go with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as a grappling based self defence style.

If you dont mind actually training, i would absolutely urge you to pick up MMA.
It takes parts of ALL fighting styles, usually the most usefull/impactfull ones.
Training can be quite tough tho.
Also, ground fighting is a BIG part of MMA. Its a good all around package.

Muay Thai is also VERY effective in street situations.

-LTE