• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Married Consultants Same Hospital/clinic

D

DRAGON

Founding Member
I am trying to find the answer to this. Someone sent me a private message on the point and I thought I would throw it wider to see if anyone knows the answer.

I was transferred from one (outpatient) team to another headed by a Consultant Psychiatrist whose wife is also a Consultant Psychiatrist in the same Department. Unfortunately, I had previously made a complaint against that wife(consultant) and said I would not feel comfortable seeing her husband.

The NHT Trust concerned (a) would not confirm the fact they were married
(b) would not offer an alternative Consultant
(c) discharged me
d) continue to refuse to give me a list of Consultants which cover this area

I do not know whether it is contraindicated for Consultants who are married to one another, to work at the same Unit, but I would like to know, and whether people agree a different Consultant ought to have been offered.

Any advice would be appreciated.

D

D

Dollit

Consultants in Bristol are postcoded so that each consultant has a list that covers a specific area - this makes it easier (amongst other things) for home visits as it means they are working in smaller geographical areas. Therefore there is not much of choice. The NHS trust would not tell you if two doctors were married as that is confidential information and they have the right to withold that information. If you wouldn't see the consultant you were offered and they were the only person that you could see and the trust wouldn't be able to offer an alternative, therefore discharge would be inevitable. As for giving you a list of consultants who cover the area they can consider that confidential information but you may be able to find it by doing an internet search.

You would be much better off seeing someone like CAB on this one.

D

DRAGON

Founding Member
consultants

Consultants in Bristol are postcoded so that each consultant has a list that covers a specific area - this makes it easier (amongst other things) for home visits as it means they are working in smaller geographical areas. Therefore there is not much of choice. The NHS trust would not tell you if two doctors were married as that is confidential information and they have the right to withold that information. If you wouldn't see the consultant you were offered and they were the only person that you could see and the trust wouldn't be able to offer an alternative, therefore discharge would be inevitable. As for giving you a list of consultants who cover the area they can consider that confidential information but you may be able to find it by doing an internet search.

You would be much better off seeing someone like CAB on this one.
I agree up to a point. But I am quite certain that where a complaint has been made against a Consultant, that to insist that complainant deal with the Consultants partner is wrong. The Consultant sould not act and alternative arrangements made. I checked that much with the Royal College of Psychiatrists. Additionally, all Trusts have the facility to take and refer clients/to/from neighboring areas. I know as I was referred to a neighboring area and was there 8 years. They dont like to do it. But they can.

Discharge may arise, as you say, but I doubt it is inevitable and it certainly is not the only response a Trust can muster. In fact discharge for refusing to go along with a conflict of interest (being made to see someone who may be prejudiced by their being married to the prervious clinician complained against) is surely wrong, and could be ultimately put before the Healthcare Commision.

D

DRAGON

Founding Member
consultants

I agree up to a point. But I am quite certain that where a complaint has been made against a Consultant, that to insist that complainant deal with the Consultants partner is wrong. The Consultant sould not act and alternative arrangements made. I checked that much with the Royal College of Psychiatrists. Additionally, all Trusts have the facility to take and refer clients/to/from neighboring areas. I know as I was referred to a neighboring area and was there 8 years. They dont like to do it. But they can.

Discharge may arise, as you say, but I doubt it is inevitable and it certainly is not the only response a Trust can muster. In fact discharge for refusing to go along with a conflict of interest (being made to see someone who may be prejudiced by their being married to the prervious clinician complained against) is surely wrong, and could be ultimately put before the Healthcare Commision.

And I do not think access to a list of the Consultants covering a particular area would be confidential. I would think Freedom of Information Act 2000 might well apply to this. I agree however that an internet search might throw up the list (which may or not be up to date)

yodel

yodel

Founding Member
Hi Dragon

Same in my area the psychiatrists are postcoded as in Dollits area. I have only known of one case in my work, of a person being able to have a consultant out of area and that was due to the only psychiatrist available being male and the person had real issues due to past abuse. She was then allowed to have a psychiatrist out of area but that was after numerous letter writing and also the support of PALS. Have you tried PALS? They are usually found in the foyer area of most hospitals or you could take a look in the phone book.

D

DRAGON

Founding Member
Hi Dragon

Same in my area the psychiatrists are postcoded as in Dollits area. I have only known of one case in my work, of a person being able to have a consultant out of area and that was due to the only psychiatrist available being male and the person had real issues due to past abuse. She was then allowed to have a psychiatrist out of area but that was after numerous letter writing and also the support of PALS. Have you tried PALS? They are usually found in the foyer area of most hospitals or you could take a look in the phone book.
[/I] I am happy to give PALS a try. I am a pretty good researcher of issues and can advocate well on my own behalf (having previously been just that, an advocate) but I recognise the benefit of support too. My take on the issue remains pretty much the same.. that the postcoding is simply an administrative and allocating protocol, and that when issues arise that challenge the efficacy of the patient doctor trust and ethical issues such as conflicts of interest, I think the doctor is almost certainly obliged to stand aside, and the NHS is obliged to find another Consultant subject to an ongoing clinical need.

Still lets give Pals a try anyway :) Thanks for that

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I really dont know alot about this but I do work within the NHS. You have the right to choose where your treatment is these days but I am not sure if this extended to MH service. I would be inclined to contact PALs they are usually very good a dealing with such issues normally. As for married people working in close proximity this is a regular occurance and the previous poster is right the trust willnot be at liberty to disclose such information. Hope this is of some help.

D

DRAGON

Founding Member
I really dont know alot about this but I do work within the NHS. You have the right to choose where your treatment is these days but I am not sure if this extended to MH service. I would be inclined to contact PALs they are usually very good a dealing with such issues normally. As for married people working in close proximity this is a regular occurance and the previous poster is right the trust willnot be at liberty to disclose such information. Hope this is of some help.
I am going to try PALS even though things have moved on somewhat.

How it works is this. You do not have the right to choose where you receive mental health care. That has not so far extended to mental healthcare. In my opinion that is an anomoly but one which has a lot to do with the relative underfunding of general mental health facilities. The lions share of new funding in recent years seems to have gone to crisis management at the expense of preventative and rehabilitative car.

As regards married people working in one location, I cannot imagine it is of itself prohibited, but where a complaint is made against one partner , it is obviously most undesirable that the complainant sees the partner of the complained against clinician for the reasons I gave. I agree the Trust would not have to disclose the fact of marraige, however, if the complainant (as I have) is in a position to conclusively prove the fact, they should not deny it and it should weigh in the balance in the request to be seen by someone else. Confirming it is not the same as disclosing personal information in the sense of responding to a "fishing exercise"

Interestingly, in my own case, the 2 Consultants are married but on the electoral roll, and in the hospital/clinic the lady goes under her maiden name,
Quite a few patients know of their being married, but the Trust try to keep it secret.

I think its important for me to emphasise that the Trust will not even respond to my objections., They have not claimed I have failed to provide a good reason and given their reasons. They simply would not discuss it and said (after 2 letters a week apart) they would not respond any further. It is a brickwall really. And I know they have other Consultants in the team, and nor have they said its a postcode issue. They just wont say anything . It is very very stressful. But does anyone really think they would be comfortable knowing that the Consultant they are to see, is the husband of the Consultant against whom they complained only a couple of years ago, which was a matter dragging on over 6 months, and was about attitude and accuracy. It would not feel right surely (fort either party)