March 1st

mami5

mami5

I'm fluent Welsh. It is my first language, and proud of it :D

Lovely to see you around again V, hope you're well :hug: xxxxxxx

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I learnt the Welsh National Anthem and a few hymns in Welsh when I was in my infants school. I lived in a border county (Monmouthshire) and it made me feel a bit of a mongrel - neither truly Welsh nor English. I got the impression there was a bit of class distinction involved - like the truly English people were 'posh' compared to the Welsh. I lived in a small mining village though, so my heart was Welsh and has always remained so.

T

Taffy

I moved to Denbighshire, we were doing a little house up out in the country..and I was learning Welsh. ( Family were Welsh originally)

My Welsh teacher loved her songs... the National anthem is great ...:D

The posh English neighbours either side of us actually got annoyed with me learning Welsh... there were representations...I'd gone and wished the bin men good afternoon in Welsh..:doh: How very dare I !

One English woman owned a grocery shop and complained that the Welsh deliberately ordered their shopping in Welsh because she could not speak the language .... How very dare they!

We had to move a couple of years ago as one side of us were(English) neighbours from hell..they got a petition up with the local Parish council and claimed that we were renovating the house for the mentally ill and it would lower house prices.

Honest! I ended up in lengthy correspondence with the council... oh and the Heddlu as they accused me of criminal damage when I was not even in Denbighshire at the time of the alleged offence officer...:rolleyes:

I really miss it there ....it was a lovely place... apart from the neighbours...

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

My Grancha took me to Cardiff Arms Park to watch Wales v England at rugby a few times. He used to sit me on his shoulders so I could see better. I cannot even begin to describe how spine-tingling and emotional it felt when the whole stadium erupted into the Welsh National Anthem. I was maybe only seven at the time, but I remember that moment and that feeling with crystal clarity to this day.

T

Taffy

Wow,,, that must have been amazing... I love watching the rugby and the children there all love it.
Will think of you and your Grancha now when I see it.:)

I used to have a Bampi not a Grancha... must be a regional word hey?

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

My nan had her speech recorded and archived by BBC radio in the 1960's for a project of theirs to record dialects. Her spoken language was 'Wenglish' ie. a mix of Welsh and English. I've tried to find the archive but failed. I think it may have been lost. It would be lovely to hear her voice again. She raised me until I was 12 and I remember her speaking voice clearly - so dramatic and eloquent.