• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Manipulative when Manic... ?

K

keith74

My wife is going through a manic episode right now. There was one night that was interesting/disturbing to me. When recalling the events, I am slowly realizing that a lot of what happened she may have been faking to see how far she could push me. I was being overly accommodating because I knew both physically and mentally she was suffering. I have never seen that side of her mania before. Is this a fairly common situation with some people who are manic? They purposely fake and instigate to see how far they can push you? Do they do it because they get amusement out of it? Or just curiously seeing what they can get away with?

Zero One

Zero One

Curiosity of what they can get away with? That has an ugly air of authority. When I am manic I seriously have no time for manipulation and I have less conscience so I may do things I feel are necessary without a care for consequences or apprehension of repercussions. Combined with my psychosis I have been wicked and cruel and when my conscience and right mind come back I feel traumatized by the things I have done and have a difficult time coping.

K

keith74

When I am manic I seriously have no time for manipulation and I have less conscience so I may do things I feel are necessary without a care for consequences or apprehension of repercussions
Yeah this is what I always assumed and the manic behavior I am used to. But with that one night with my wife, it seemed like she was faking how much pain she was in to draw extra attention/reaction from me. For example, she would get this jolts of pain and need me to get things for her. She would always be angry at my slow response or not following orders exactly and berate me (physically and verbally). The tipping point was that she needed icepacks for pain on her abdomen because she felt they were on fire. Then she needed help going to the toilet, barely able to move because of the pain. While on the toilet, she felt a jolt of pain and wanted another icepack. Then she looked like she stopped breathing and was going to seizure. I got scared and called 911. I told her if it doesn't stop soon I am calling 911. She looked at me and said "do it". I called. When talking to 911, I said my wife needs medical attention and also said that she is manic and was abusive all night. Literally the second I said that, my wife stopped the seizure, dropped the icepacks, got of the toilet easily, and screamed "hang up, i'm fine!!!". I wouldn't hang up so she screamed "fuck you" and started packing around with no pain or anything - she look 1000% healthy. She then locked herself in the bathroom until the cops and paramedics came. All the pain, the discomfort, etc was all gone. She was pain free, easily mobile, and just angry from that point on. I was wondering... what happened? Was all that pain and the seizure something that her manic mind made her body imagine? Or was it some ploy to get extra attention and fear from me so that I would be extra attentive and put up with more abuse. It was weird. That was the only night she acted like that. Ever since, she seemed in good physical health and seemed to shift to more classic manic behavior I am used to (ultra high energy, speaks fast, does what she wants, etc). It is like I called her bluff by calling 911 and that part of her mania went away to something else.

I'm still trying to understand that night.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I wouldn’t attribute the manipulation specifically to mania broadly. I have never experienced manipulation like that as a part of my manias though everyone does experience mania in a different way.

Zero One

Zero One

Yeah this is what I always assumed and the manic behavior I am used to. But with that one night with my wife, it seemed like she was faking how much pain she was in to draw extra attention/reaction from me. For example, she would get this jolts of pain and need me to get things for her. She would always be angry at my slow response or not following orders exactly and berate me (physically and verbally). The tipping point was that she needed icepacks for pain on her abdomen because she felt they were on fire. Then she needed help going to the toilet, barely able to move because of the pain. While on the toilet, she felt a jolt of pain and wanted another icepack. Then she looked like she stopped breathing and was going to seizure. I got scared and called 911. I told her if it doesn't stop soon I am calling 911. She looked at me and said "do it". I called. When talking to 911, I said my wife needs medical attention and also said that she is manic and was abusive all night. Literally the second I said that, my wife stopped the seizure, dropped the icepacks, got of the toilet easily, and screamed "hang up, i'm fine!!!". I wouldn't hang up so she screamed "fuck you" and started packing around with no pain or anything - she look 1000% healthy. She then locked herself in the bathroom until the cops and paramedics came. All the pain, the discomfort, etc was all gone. She was pain free, easily mobile, and just angry from that point on. I was wondering... what happened? Was all that pain and the seizure something that her manic mind made her body imagine? Or was it some ploy to get extra attention and fear from me so that I would be extra attentive and put up with more abuse. It was weird. That was the only night she acted like that. Ever since, she seemed in good physical health and seemed to shift to more classic manic behavior I am used to (ultra high energy, speaks fast, does what she wants, etc). It is like I called her bluff by calling 911 and that part of her mania went away to something else.

I'm still trying to understand that night.
She sounds like she may have a bit more going on than bipolar. I know I replied above about my mania but the twist to evil I think is more because of psychosis and trouble reasoning. Mania can be marked by risky behavior, but I think I go a bit over the edge sometimes. It is uncommon that I go evil, however. Also I am a severe case and need to be medicated just to function with peace of mind.

Anyways that was my preface to this. I have had experiences with extreme pain and psychosis that some secret society controls minds and tortures the life out of people. I was in so much pain I would lay down and suffer quietly because I didn't want my husband to know I was in pain and I was ashamed that this secret society I am a part of betrayed me and tortured me. It does seem like she was faking it but there could be a possibility that she was not. Before you called 911 she was more focused on the pain after the call it seems there was a change of focus with adrenaline and the pain was now minor to whatever she was fearing with the call. I have done some amazing feats while in pain because of a change in focus combined with adrenaline.

The abusive characteristics I think are a break down in reasoning combined with a lack of conscience. People, including myself, put up with abuse although we may fight back, but I think it is best to get out of an abusive situation if you can. No use in letting another person give you issues if you are strong (have all your faculties) and can be free. I am sorry to hear about you being abused. :hug:

K

keith74

She sounds like she may have a bit more going on than bipolar. I know I replied above about my mania but the twist to evil I think is more because of psychosis and trouble reasoning.
I think you are right. I know a few days before, she was talking about seeing visions of spirits trying to possess her. The seizure looked more like she was possessed than anything else.

K

keith74

One other thing came to mind about that night. I was begging her all night to take her meds and she kept refusing saying she didn't need them. But while on the phone with 911, in addition to her seizure stopping and pain seemingly going away, she yelled out that she will take her meds and to give her meds ASAP....