• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Manic friend

• Thread starter Concerned wife and friend
  • Start date
C

Concerned wife and friend

My friend who I haven’t spent time with since childhood recently moved to my town. He’s a really great guy who is a lot of fun and constantly cracks jokes. He’s also bipolar, had gone off his meds and had to be admitted to the hospital as a result of his extreme manic behavior. Thankfully, he is now back on meds and under the care of a psychiatrist, but he’s only been out of the hospital for about a week. He still seems really manic. He says he’s never felt better and never had so much self confidence. Im sure he’s still manic based in his behavior. Should I be anticipating a crash? How should I deal with him? I am trying to be positive but don’t want to feed into it. He quit his (really good) job when he got out of the hospital and has lots of ideas as to what he wants to do next.

K

keith74

If he is back on his meds and still taking them on his own, that is a really good sign. The hospital likely released him even though he was still manic because they were able to get him back on his meds. My wife was hospitalized last year after she went back on her meds and she was released even though she was still manic because they were able to convince her (after 5 weeks) to start taking meds again. They released her while admitting she was still manic, because they were *hopeful* she would continue her meds and continue her progress. I was worried but she actually did stick with her meds (even though constantly saying she probably doesn't need it because she has "never felt better" and "never had more clarity" in her life). Eventually the meds did her thing and her mania slowly subsided over the next two months. Hopefully you friend sticks to his meds and the mania subsides - it won't happen overnight. In the meantime, you can support him by spending some time with him and listen to him. Being positive is good but don't feel pressured to agree with what he says if you really don't and if some of his ideas are really bad ones, you can gently try to mention it. The key thing is boundaries. If he starts to get aggressive with you because you don't agree with him or whatever, they don't be afraid to let him know and walk away. It is always tricky setting good boundaries in such situations. As for a crash (depression), it is common for someone manic to eventually slip into a depression (as my wife did also), though hopefully he is on meds that will also help reduce the severity of the depression. You are a good friend to want to help him and learn about his illness, and he's lucky to have someone who cares.

Wishbone

Wishbone

He's probably not taking his meds.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Need advice on helping my manic bipolar friend, strange things are happening Bipolar Forum 4
blueberrypancake How long does a manic episode last in BP1? Bipolar Forum 13
B Manic spending Bipolar Forum 9
Tawny The first time you were manic Bipolar Forum 19
F manic days Bipolar Forum 5
P My Manic side keeps leaving my Depressed side issues to deal with. Bipolar Forum 23
Amazingly Lamictal makes me manic Bipolar Forum 12
B Second manic episode?? Bipolar Forum 5
M Do you mean what you say when you are calm, or manic? Bipolar Forum 114
M Manic disorders Bipolar Forum 4
BlackChalice47 Worst manic episode of my life Bipolar Forum 2
R First manic episode left me very scared Bipolar Forum 11
Huckleberry Manic depressive/ bipolar Bipolar Forum 6
HLon99 Your first manic episode Bipolar Forum 14
B First manic episode Bipolar Forum 8
T can sleep take away a manic episode? Bipolar Forum 19
Angelove72 Manic 48+ hours oh god now need sleep Bipolar Forum 4
M How to calm bipolar husband who is manic? Bipolar Forum 40
M I got so manic, I ended up in ICU Bipolar Forum 1
Prettyroses99 Manic for 2 weeks now Bipolar Forum 1
S Was manic but slept it off! Bipolar Forum 42
D I Got So Manic, I Gave Myself A Seizure Bipolar Forum 19
B Is feeling angry a manic episode? Bipolar Forum 10
Ruma55 Oh manic, manic, manic... Bipolar Forum 22
M Manic spouse is missing Bipolar Forum 30
W Navigating Spirituality After a Manic Episode Bipolar Forum 5
Hello513 Am I manic right now I cannot tell. Bipolar Forum 4
M Anyone use CBD to curb their mood swings and manic depressive episodes? Bipolar Forum 4
K How often do you hit a depressive episode after a manic one? Bipolar Forum 20
T Anyone else have strange delusions when not in a psychotic manic episode? Bipolar Forum 8
K Does "tough love" work for someone who is manic? Bipolar Forum 43
A Manic or not Bipolar Forum 6
M What does your manic episodes look like? Bipolar Forum 35
T Are you aware of what's happening when Manic? Bipolar Forum 28
GaryC123 Am I manic or is just feeling well? Bipolar Forum 2
K Is it triggering to discuss intense manic episode experience? Bipolar Forum 5
K Do you remember everything that happened during your manic episodes? Bipolar Forum 2
K Manipulative when Manic... ? Bipolar Forum 6
K (hurtful) things said when manic... Bipolar Forum 10
N Am I going manic or just experiencing normal happiness? Bipolar Forum 1
M eating habits when manic Bipolar Forum 8
W Parenting - Quarantine - Manic - Depression?? Bipolar Forum 5
InterruptingGirl Coping with the aftermath of manic episodes Bipolar Forum 19
G Can only reducing antidepressant dose stop a (hypo)manic episode? Bipolar Forum 3
JessisMe Most Dangerous Manic Behavior/Choices Bipolar Forum 9
ara13 Have you ever tried to trigger a manic episode? Or tried to live with a bit of instability for creatuve Bipolar Forum 4
ara13 What was your craziest manic delusion? Bipolar Forum 9
S I want to feel more alive and actually have a manic episode. Bipolar Forum 3
S The Aftermath of a Second Manic Episode Bipolar Forum 12
JessisMe Do You Remember What You Did When Manic? Bipolar Forum 9