• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Manic episodes

A

a_wolf

Does mania necessarily come with a short fuse for irritations? Or is that just what happens before the fall to depression? I ask because I rarely get irritated quick when I'm in what I think is a manic state, I am rarely irrtable. Incredibly dismissive, but not usually irritated. If someone tries to stop me from indulging my every whim I'm pretty good at just doing it anyways.
I get some sort of sick enjoyment out of the plotting of the 'forbidden' actually.
When I do hit a wall, I sometimes get angry, but I always fall into depression immediately.

Does that sound familiar to anyone here? What are other people's experiences with manic irritability occurences?

K

Kat667

sounds very familiar, I get irritated by people challenging my thinking when I'm manic. Get irritated by music I dislike (usually crap dance music or R n B rubbish cos I like more alternative stuff). Irritability is there whether manic or depressed, more obvious when I'm going from manic to depressed state, it's like a warning flag, if I start getting annoyed by every little thing then it is a sure sign that i'm rapidly on the way down!

A

a_wolf

Wow, yeah, that's even the same music that irritates me at that halfway point (though when i'm really up, or slogging up from depression with caffeine and insomnia, I am a huge sucker for Aqua and happy-hardcore).
Maybe that's why we get irritable when challenged; we can feel it turning sour around the edges and we're desperate to stay up.
Jus a theory, no more,seems to fit me... I think....

K

Kat667

Sounds about right, like I don't want someone to burst my bubble and spoil all my great plans.
And I have to be very careful with alcohol. It either sends me hyper or makes me really argumentative, especially whisky, can't touch it at all. Any more than a couple of glasses of wine and I have been known to be pulled out of social situations by my hubby before my mood gets noticable (I talk over people, get really opinated and irritable or get over excited depending on whether I'm up or down).

G

gina kate

Wow, yeah, that's even the same music that irritates me at that halfway point (though when i'm really up, or slogging up from depression with caffeine and insomnia, I am a huge sucker for Aqua and happy-hardcore).
Maybe that's why we get irritable when challenged; we can feel it turning sour around the edges and we're desperate to stay up.
Jus a theory, no more,seems to fit me... I think....
wolf,

can you help me? are you available to chat?

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

I've only really started feeling irritable, my manic episodes were more fun. I think it's from the lithium, it's capped the funness and replaced it with grumpiness.
I did, like you all, get a bit ratty if someone challenged me - but it wasn't nasty, I'd just sulk lol.

A

a_wolf

You can pm me if you would like, Gina Kate. :)