• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Mania?

7920NewbridgeCovina

7920NewbridgeCovina

Trigger warning ⚠ drinking

Does anyone else self medicate with alcohol? It started a few months ago. It was 2-3 drinks 1-2 nights a week. The last two weeks it’s been 2-4 drinks for 3-4 days. Sometimes it’s day drinking. Sometimes it’s at night. I’m a SAHM with a Velcro baby. I can’t get anything done during the day without them screaming when I put them down. I’m so exhausted mentally, physically, emotionally, etc. My baby is not in danger. I’m just finding it impossible to cope with a screaming baby and a disaster of a house.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Are you questioning if it is mania, given the title? It sounds more like high stress to me, going purely on the fact that you can actually be a parent still. Self-medication is pretty common in Bipolar, I've done it plenty though I'm trying to avoid it. I tend to be drawn to it more when depressed because I don't care about myself or anything else then. But it can be a habit that sneaks up on you and before you know it you have a real problem. You don't mention a partner or friends or family, is there anyone around that can help you out so that you don't keep making the wrong choice in dealing with it in your own way?

7920NewbridgeCovina

7920NewbridgeCovina

Are you questioning if it is mania, given the title? It sounds more like high stress to me, going purely on the fact that you can actually be a parent still. Self-medication is pretty common in Bipolar, I've done it plenty though I'm trying to avoid it. I tend to be drawn to it more when depressed because I don't care about myself or anything else then. But it can be a habit that sneaks up on you and before you know it you have a real problem. You don't mention a partner or friends or family, is there anyone around that can help you out so that you don't keep making the wrong choice in dealing with it in your own way?
The boyfriend/father is still in our lives. He works a basic 9-5. I have to tell him step by step what to do with every day tasks. I feel like I have to baby him through things. We tried working more on our relationship but that’s one sided. He’s much older than I am so I feel like I shouldn’t have to tell him that the trash needs to go out and the dishes should be done and his dog needs to go out to pee or be groomed. He has three of his own kids and we have a baby together. Between the two of us we have two dogs. We have his kids every other weekend and I have to tell him that his kids need to do their chores. I feel like on top of my own mental health issues I instantly became a mother to five.

Kotter

Kotter

are you on meds?
i used to self medicate with alcohol.
the problem is that it effects how the medication i am on works.
so, in the long run, it didn't work out very well.
i ended up in the hospital a couple times.

7920NewbridgeCovina

7920NewbridgeCovina

are you on meds?
i used to self medicate with alcohol.
the problem is that it effects how the medication i am on works.
so, in the long run, it didn't work out very well.
i ended up in the hospital a couple times.
I was on lithium when I was diagnosed but it did horrible things to me. I was on half a dozen meds to counter act the side effects. They put me on 25 mg of Zoloft when I was 4 months postpartum. That interfered with what little sleep I was getting. I also had zero sex drive and my depression was worse. I called my doctor and took myself off of it a month ago. That could be why the self medicating increased.

7920NewbridgeCovina

7920NewbridgeCovina

I should mention that I’ve gotten an average of 4-6 hours of sleep a night for the last 6 months. I’ve basically been running on autopilot for the last year.

T

timing

I used to self medicate as well. It was usually my way of getting out of depression. Alcohol swept me straight into mania. I could get things done as by the 3rd drink I was in overdrive. Then, the fall back to depression was too fast and too hard. Hospitalizations followed every period that I drank.
For me, alcohol is poison and after learning that I quit forever. I have not had a drop in 10 years.

7920NewbridgeCovina

7920NewbridgeCovina

I’m glad you’re doing better now. Some people do better living life sober. I think drinking does allow me to force myself into mania. I was diagnosed manic-depressive bipolar when I was 20.

Wishbone

Wishbone

It sounds like you need to find time to call your doctor and tell them all of the things that are going on, don't leave anything out. Tell them how you reacted to certain meds, how your life is spilling over the brim etc. They may be able to offer help in the form of different medication or therapy or something. You can't keep drinking though, that's just like sweeping the problems under the rug, we all know that. So make the call and wean yourself off the booze too.