• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mania while on lots of sedative meds

A

Angels123

:cry:
Hi there. I have been going through an episode for several weeks. Whilst it was mostly depressive, anxiety was creeping in. I'm now on extra sedative meds through the day, as well as being on a lot of night time meds. However, this last few days I feel like the anxiety has been taking over big time and I'm beginning to feel manic. Is this possible while on so many sedative meds?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hello Angels123, either your medication needs looking at overall or you have not given it enough time to work well as it can take months to be fully effective. What does your psychiatrist say?

A

Angels123

Thank you for your reply. The psychiatrist I spoke to said about increasing sertraline anti depressant by 50mg. But since then the anxiety/mania has worsened. My cpn said today that I need to take recently prescribed sedative meds more regularly and consistently. She also said to do my relaxation techniques more as I have been burning myself out by doing took much eg going out and housework.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Maybe you should ask about reducing anti depressant? although the CPN must have been told by the psychiatrist that you need to take your mood stabiliser daily. Have you not been taking them every day? No wonder you feel like this. It is hard to take them every night but for a peaceful life, it is essential to take as prescribed. Once you feel that peace, you will be so much happier. If too sedated then, you can ask to reduce slightly.

A

Angels123

Thank you tawny. I am taking all meds as prescribed, it was just the added day time quetiapine and diazepam that I needed to take more consistently. I take a heavy dose of quetiapine at night as well as lithium. The psychiatrist said about increase in sertraline but my cpn and I don't think it's such a good idea now. This will be discussed when my GP is back on Monday