• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Mania Management without Meds

M

Manic16

Hey I’m new here and I just wanted to share some thoughts and maybe get some mild feedback.
I’ve seen a handful of doctors and all of them seem to think that some different medications and the person before is going to work to reduce my mania episodes that occur daily. I do believe that in certain circumstances people should be medicated and if you found a medication that works for you then that’s great I’m happy for you. But I have not.
I typically wake up in the first 5 to 6 hours of my day are absolute garbage, I feel like crap emotionally, depressed, don’t feel like participating in much at work… And then at about lunchtime which is 11 o’clock for me, it really starts to change and flips complete 180… Introduce manic episode… So I found that eating well (for me lots of meat protein and veggies) and eating regularly every 2 to 3 hours helps me feel nourished and gives me a little kick of energy and I’ve also found that when I get home from work and I’m feeling this way if I go out to my gym and pump some iron that I can usually burn off some of that energy or that heightened sense of craziness, But then there’s the part of me also that has challenges not drinking alcohol on a daily basis and I found that alcohol helps everything but only temporarily. I have this thought in my head that if I can get to a certain way certain body fat in a certain physique that I will finally learn to love myself which I do not in the least right now.

anybody got advice on what works for them without medication?

As a closing thought I should probably add that every day driving home from work I feel like a crazy man and I get extreme satisfaction driving 100+ miles an hour on the back roads 20 miles to my house passing cars with no regard to safety. I know it’s not safe and my wife thinksThat’s how I’m “gonna go” but I’m not scared. And it feeds me mentally like I can’t believe

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi welcome x
i hope im not speaking out of place but is you are putting yourself in danger ,maybe it would be better to be on medication?
i personally don't understand why people wouldn't take medication if it helps them x although i completely respect your choice to be unmedicated if that is what you want
what about therapy? maybe that could help with the mania
personally i think a combination of medication and therapy could be good for some people
lots of love x Lu x

M

Manic16

Not out of place, thanks. I just haven’t found a medication yet that has been much help. I’ve taken gabapentin before but it made me feel like a zombie regularly and my thoughts weren’t very clear.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

have you tried lithium?
my boyfriend is on medication for the lows and the highs x i remember sertraline but have forgotten the other ,i will post it tomorrow and ask him how helpful it is to control his moods
x

M

Manic16

I have not tried lithium. Actually sertraline sounds familiar.. I don’t remember what happened but I remember I had a bad reaction, doc said I was allergic

HLon99

HLon99

Mania management without medication is like wiping your ass without toilet paper, excuse my language. I feel very strongly about this because I went an entire year, undiagnosed and untreated and pretty much ruined my life. I strongly advise anyone with bipolar disorder or any other mental illness to come forward to their doctor and seek PROFESSIONAL help. No amount of self-cures or home remedies are ever going to solve a serious crisis caused by mental illness any less than eating salad will cure cancer, believe me I've tried them all. Mania is a legitimate psychiatric emergency and should be dealt with as such. Not doing so, will not only put yourself in danger but you are putting your loved ones at risk. Think about what is more important to you, your pride or your family!

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

bf takes depokate for mania i think his medications basically work for him
sorry i think i read your post a bit wrong x i didn't realise you had tried medication and couldn't find one that worked
i honestly truly hope you find a medication that helps you ,you deserve to feel better x

K

keith74

Mania management without medication is like wiping your ass without toilet paper, excuse my language. I feel very strongly about this because I went an entire year, undiagnosed and untreated and pretty much ruined my life. I strongly advise anyone with bipolar disorder or any other mental illness to come forward to their doctor and seek PROFESSIONAL help. No amount of self-cures or home remedies are ever going to solve a serious crisis caused by mental illness any less than eating salad will cure cancer, believe me I've tried them all. Mania is a legitimate psychiatric emergency and should be dealt with as such. Not doing so, will not only put yourself in danger but you are putting your loved ones at risk. Think about what is more important to you, your pride or your family!
Can't agree more! Every time my wife had an episode, it was because she felt she didn't need the meds (or felt she could lower her dose). Meds need to be an integral part of your routine along with therapy/CBT and healthy living.

M

Manic16

I appreciate all your feedback and FAIRY you’ve Been most helpful, however guys, the thread was asking for activities or something you do WITHOUT medication. There’s got to be some out there that don’t believe medication is the answer

JessisMe

JessisMe

The last time I went off my meds I also drove recklessly. I ended up with Reckless and Negligent charges x 3 and the state took my license away until I can prove that I am fit to operate a vehicle. I don’t know that the meds work but I do know that I don’t have these problems when I am on them. If you have not tried Lithium or Depakote I would suggest trying them as they are textbook for managing Bipolar. I’m sorry to be another supporter of medication but that really is what worked for me and I was a danger to myself and others without it. Possibly consider a few more trials with Bipolar meds before you call it quits on them altogether. xo, j

H

Happy bill

I appreciate all your feedback and FAIRY you’ve Been most helpful, however guys, the thread was asking for activities or something you do WITHOUT medication. There’s got to be some out there that don’t believe medication is the answer
For years I felt that I could control this with excersise and mental discipline. For me at least that was a huge fail. The right meds make this a challenge I can at least get my hands around.

the side effects do suck, and yes you do lose a big part of who you are when the bp disappears. But the correct meds make this a much better life for me and my family.

Zana

Zana

I'm currently trying to wean off meds and manage without because I don't want to live a half life with that emotional numbing, however doing it sensibly and slowly is paramount and I'll be ready to go back to a full dose if necessary. As a biologist by profession please believe it when I say that changing meds around too quickly is a bad idea.

Personally a good routine is very helpful but onlybreally achievable if you have a settled home life, or a reliable place you can feel totally safe and comfortable. Faith is something I rely on heavily at times too (in fact it's all that saved me from suicide). Maybe you can switch your workout to the morning to get you going? Also, learning to detach from thoughts and situations that could lead you into a manic-like state is very important.

Hope this helps and God bless.

T

toto

You need to do psychoanalysis. Is an event causing psychosis or is it just an imbalance of hormones in the body. Psychoanalysis is looking for the event that triggers psychosis, what secondary benefits you get from being sick ... I've read things about panic disorder and more In this way I dare to say that so far I have managed almost without pills, I am aware of my problems, the causes of psychosis and I just pray that next time I will be lucky to find a job in an intelligent team.I have schizoafektiv