• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mania coming back Medication adjustment through GP?

HLon99

HLon99

Dear all,

I suffer from Bipolar disorder and I have been prescribe 200mg of lamotrigine and 5mg of aripiprazole. For 2 months now I have been doing really well. The lamotrigine works perfectly and is at the correct dose, however it only controls my depression. The aripiprazole works great too but I feel the dose is too low. Recently, I have been feeling as though my mania is coming back. I have been sleeping less, have too much energy, been having racing thoughts etc.

I was wondering whether it is possible for me to adjust my medication by contacting my GP directly. My next psychiatrist appointment is in 2 months time, which is of no help to me now and I really do not want to go to A&E.
Does anyone have experience with this, and if so how is the best way of going about this.

thanks in advance,
-H

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Lamotrigine elevated my mood and it got worse and worse. Maybe you could ask your doctor about taking less Lamotrigine - 150mg, or more Aripiprazole. I would take less Lamotrigine. Within days, you might drop some.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Contact your psychiatrist's secretary they will help move your appointment forward, or get your dr to phone you.
Take care

L

luvyrself

If you dont have a stabilizer-such as lithium or tegretol, you need one, perhaps in addition to what you are already taking. Every bipolar person does. This is the foundation of treatment. Try not to rely on your GP, but be more assertive to get an appointment with your psychiatrist when you need that. If he or she cant be there for you when you need them, replace them. Discuss with the pdoc your need for him or her to be more responsive.

HLon99

HLon99

If you dont have a stabilizer-such as lithium or tegretol, you need one, perhaps in addition to what you are already taking. Every bipolar person does. This is the foundation of treatment. Try not to rely on your GP, but be more assertive to get an appointment with your psychiatrist when you need that. If he or she cant be there for you when you need them, replace them. Discuss with the pdoc your need for him or her to be more responsive.
Dear luvryself,

Thank you for your reply. Here in the UK, if you are already taking medication for Bipolar it may be possible to ask your GP to adjust your medication without seeing your psychiatrist. Unfortunately, I cannot afford private psychiatry and I am on the NHS right now, so beggars cannot be choosers. But my current psychiatrist is pretty good, its just the system really stinks and it is very hard to get an alternative appointment. Ill try speaking to the secretary and ill go from there. Concerning medication, I am currently very happy with Aripiprazole being my main antimanic medication. Lithium is also good, but causes a plethora of side effects which is why I agreed with my shrink to stick with the aripiprazole. My only problem is that I am on a very low dose (5mg), the usual being 10-20mg, so I am looking to get that increased. Tegretol isn't routinely prescribed here in the UK. But I will bare that in mind if my current med regiment doesn;t work looking forward.

Thank you
-H