Maladaptive Daydreaming (MD)

MDgal

MDgal

Hi everyone!

I've had MD since I think 3-4 years old, when I met my best friend and we had a very toxic relationship. I did not have any other friends and spent time only with this girl. My parents were also very controlling and I felt trapped all the time.
I used MD as a coping mechanism. There, in the world that I created, I was the rebel with all the superpowers in the world, a superhero, an orphan with cool friends and amazing boyfriend/husband. My trigger was music + moving in some way, mostly jumping but I could also swing on a swing. Later I realized I am also able to daydream in any moving vehicle (car, train, plane) and also while walking - if I have headphones with music in, I am always at risk.

I tried to quit many times, but it's like an addiction. I also have diagnosed OCD, which makes me self harm, and also have intrusive thoughts, and anxiety. I take medication. However, MD doesn't go away.
Recently I made another attempt to stop. It's been about a week. However, I am facing the problem I face every time I try to quit -
See, when I want to daydream I get this light feeling in my chest, as though there is a bulk of light that is trying to rip my chest and get outside, it is an uncomfortable feeling and so far this bulk only goes away if I daydream. I do not know what will be as effective with coping with this light. I think it might be just all my emotions turned into a physical feeling, I often experience that my emotional pain turns into physical pain.
Did anybody have the same experience?
I honestly don't know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

angels egg

I have this too. I daydream all the time. In my daydreams, I also have superpowers or I live in a fictional universe and can talk to my favorite fictional characters. Whenever I listen to music, especially when I'm in a car or something (like you said) I daydream nonstop. I actually love daydreaming because it helps me escape from reality. But it hurts that my daydreams are not real. I wish I could be in my favorite fictional worlds and sometimes it's hard to cope with that. But I would miss my family.

The only thing that stopped me from daydreaming so much is my constant anxiety and depression. Now I'm too worried about real life.

MDgal

MDgal

I have this too. I daydream all the time. In my daydreams, I also have superpowers or I live in a fictional universe and can talk to my favorite fictional characters. Whenever I listen to music, especially when I'm in a car or something (like you said) I daydream nonstop. I actually love daydreaming because it helps me escape from reality. But it hurts that my daydreams are not real. I wish I could be in my favorite fictional worlds and sometimes it's hard to cope with that. But I would miss my family.

The only thing that stopped me from daydreaming so much is my constant anxiety and depression. Now I'm too worried about real life.
I see you!!! When I was a kid I would give everything to just live in my daydream but now I kind of accepted that my dreams are not real and will never be real. Ultimately, they are just a projection of my pain. They stem from hurt and fear, for me, and I think they prevent me from growing fully in the real world. That’s why I want to stop MD as much as possible.

S

Spaz119

Hi everyone!

I've had MD since I think 3-4 years old, when I met my best friend and we had a very toxic relationship. I did not have any other friends and spent time only with this girl. My parents were also very controlling and I felt trapped all the time.
I used MD as a coping mechanism. There, in the world that I created, I was the rebel with all the superpowers in the world, a superhero, an orphan with cool friends and amazing boyfriend/husband. My trigger was music + moving in some way, mostly jumping but I could also swing on a swing. Later I realized I am also able to daydream in any moving vehicle (car, train, plane) and also while walking - if I have headphones with music in, I am always at risk.

I tried to quit many times, but it's like an addiction. I also have diagnosed OCD, which makes me self harm, and also have intrusive thoughts, and anxiety. I take medication. However, MD doesn't go away.
Recently I made another attempt to stop. It's been about a week. However, I am facing the problem I face every time I try to quit -
See, when I want to daydream I get this light feeling in my chest, as though there is a bulk of light that is trying to rip my chest and get outside, it is an uncomfortable feeling and so far this bulk only goes away if I daydream. I do not know what will be as effective with coping with this light. I think it might be just all my emotions turned into a physical feeling, I often experience that my emotional pain turns into physical pain.
Did anybody have the same experience?
I honestly don't know what to do.

S

Spaz119

Hi. I Can’t believe I found a bunch of people like me! I have done this for as long as I can remember. Similar to you, I had very controlling parents (mostly my mother). I was an only child and my only real friend was my cousin who lived 2 hours away.
I find the only time I don’t do it is like the one reply about real life causing severe anxiety.
The sad thing is I’m 52 and I still do it. It really was supposed to be a way of coping with my situation until my real GREAT life took over. You know, this great life I imagined. Never happened.
I can’t say I haven’t been able to function in life. I graduated from college and had a great paying job. Just got laid off. Oh, and my dog died. I’ve got the makings of a great country song here. Lol!
I still live with my father. I do have a boyfriend but I still daydream.
The odd thing is that most times I’m not even me ( I’m a girl) in the daydreams. I actually imagine life as a strong man who can handle everything in the world that comes his way. Go figure.
Besides making me sad later on (because of course none of this can come true), I still enjoy doing it.
I’ve always lived two lives. The one in reality and the one along side where I get the great guys, etc.

I also use music and car rides, etc.
I think it would be great if there really were Holodecks like in Star Trek so we could act out some of these daydreams. Real life sucks anyway 😞

Yours in MD

S

Spaz119

Wow. I can’t believe this! Thanks for sharing 🙂