Maladaptive daydreaming is getting worse!

I

iheartatreyu

I usually don't post in fourums because i like to keep quiet about things but here goes nothing i hope someone responds.

One day i decided to google my symptoms so i did. i found something called maladaptive daydreaming. It was crazy it fit me perfectly.

I daydream almost ALL the time and i mean ALL the time, even when i am on the toilet. i have no specific triggers because i daydream so much that there isn't even any triggers. I say my thoughts outloud i cannot control it. i do it in public too and it is so embarrassing :low: and there is no way to stop it. I do hand gestures and facial expressions that go along with what i am saying in my daydreams or how i react to someone else in my daydreams. I also laugh out loud to when something funny happens in my daydreams. I get made fun of all the time by my family. This has been going on since i was like 4 years of age. My sister and her friends would always laugh and make fun of me and say i talk to myself and laugh at myself.

My daydreams are very vivd and elaborate. Sometime its like a sop opera where i will continue from where i left off. so example say im on the bus daydreaming on the way to school i will sit in class and after class is over i will continue where i left off. A lot of the time though it is so uncontrollable that i will slip in to daydreams in class without realizing. I rather not say specifically what i daydream about. Sometimes i will have daydreams where i have friends and a maybe even a boyfriend sometimes. (the story changes from time to time) I have no real friends in real life.

I saw that this is usually caused by trauma. When i was a kid i wasn't shown affection. I didn't get any attention and any i did get was very negative like name calling and mean things being said.

I do have a psychiatrist, but i am too scared to say anything because there is little known about it.

I really don't know what to do this has taken over my life since i had actually realized i had a problem. which was maybe December of 2012. So basically i have been so used to this that i never noticed most of it.I hate being embarrassed in public by my stupid laughing and smiling and gestures.

Please someone help me out with what i can do.
Thanks

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Hey and welcome to the forum :) glad you found us and took the courage to post :)

I think it would be a good idea to mention to your pdoc about your day dreaming as it could be for many reasons.... sometimes not all the time I loose myself in day dreams alone or in public public and catch myself talking or laughing out loud and zone in and out of conversations, my CC told me recently that sometimes I dissociate.... Your not alone xx

Stripeysocks

Stripeysocks

Hi and welcome!
I know what you mean about the hand gestures and facial expressions whilst daydreaming, I do that too and people look at me gone out! I used to daydream all the time as a young child to escape from what was happening at home. I guess for me it was a coping mechanism and I also did and still do dissociate too.

My thought is that maybe you could tell your psychiatrist about the symptoms you are experiencing rather than telling them you think you have this condition. That way they can decide what they think the symptoms are all about . But I def do think they need to know all of what is going on for you so they can treat you the most appropriate way. I know these things are hard, I have symptoms I don't want to tell my consultant about when I next see her.... It's true, you're not alone. xx

I

iheartatreyu

Thank you for the insight very helpful. :)
The thing is i think he may just discard my symptoms so i would rather tell him i have been researching and found maladaptive daydreaming.
It is getting extremely hard to handle i feel it is getting worse and worse each day.
I especially hate the saying my thoughts out loud or the giggling and laughing when i am in pubic :( so embarrassing!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Mental Health Experiences 2