• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Maladaptive daydreaming help

B

bubble20

So when I was a kid I use to sleep most of the day so I can daydream, also would act out these daydreams by setting the scene in my room, mouthing the words (but that’s normal for a kid to act out things) but I’m 20 now and still acting by mouthing the words and pretending to talk to people that aren’t there. My daydreams are all the same nothing crazy, just of my friends/family/people I know. I spend most of the day in my room acting out these daydreams silently (I never let my family or friends see or know about this) Whenever I leave my house I’m constantly daydreaming and pretending the dreams are happening right there and then (I don’t act them out or mouth anything in public). I don’t want to do it but I can’t stop. I have tried to not do it but I then become restless and depressed. Anyone going through the same thing and can help me?

Q

qwertyuiop123

I used to do this when I was younger and actually still do this occasionally when I'm alone or in the car. It would be interesting to know what part of the brain makes up these kinds of daydreams. Have you spoken to a psychologist? Maybe journaling could help. Or maybe you could use a creative outlet like writing stories or poems.

Lance__

Lance__

Yeah, I can relate to it. I started daydreaming when I was a child, but it got worse last year to the point that I was more time in my fantasy world than in the real world. It was really a coping/defense mechanism for me, but I was able to face it when I went to therapy.

In the dissociation subforum there are other people with similar experience as you with MD. Maybe it can help you this thread about MD that was discussed there:

Hope you the best.
Take care.

P

Princess Zelda

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I do this all the time! I daydream about fictional characters and worlds and imagining the adventures I'd go on with them. When I listen to music, it's like my mind creates a movie or something to fit the lyrics of the song. For me, I love daydreaming because it helps me escape reality.

One thing that helps me is getting the thoughts out there by drawing or writing. Writing stories, drawing or painting your imagination. I think therapy might be able to help too. I had therapy before but I never told my therapists about this. But I'm sure they would understand.

M

meawycat

I do experience maladaptive daydreaming. This started from when i was as small as 5 years old. I was never a character of my daydreams. The protagonist was my favourite character because i did not like myself. I found myself ugly. Listening to music triggered my daydreams. I mostly daydreamt in the car. So i never noticed the roads while travelling in a car and this is one of the reasons i am pretty pathetic with roads. I also daydream during classes especially difficult subjects. So i hardly know what the teacher is teaching in class. The reason which caused these daydreams to develop is because i was socially shunned out. None liked mingling with me. May be to escape the loneliness i developed MD. After a few really

kingkylie

kingkylie

So when I was a kid I use to sleep most of the day so I can daydream, also would act out these daydreams by setting the scene in my room, mouthing the words (but that’s normal for a kid to act out things) but I’m 20 now and still acting by mouthing the words and pretending to talk to people that aren’t there. My daydreams are all the same nothing crazy, just of my friends/family/people I know. I spend most of the day in my room acting out these daydreams silently (I never let my family or friends see or know about this) Whenever I leave my house I’m constantly daydreaming and pretending the dreams are happening right there and then (I don’t act them out or mouth anything in public). I don’t want to do it but I can’t stop. I have tried to not do it but I then become restless and depressed. Anyone going through the same thing and can help me?
Oh my god. I never really know that there's a name to it... I've always have this since I was a kid until today in my mid 20s.. Is this bad? I mean if someone has it, to what extent will it be bad for people that has it?

S

Sarasara

I do experience maladaptive daydreaming. This started from when i was as small as 5 years old. I was never a character of my daydreams. The protagonist was my favourite character because i did not like myself. I found myself ugly. Listening to music triggered my daydreams. I mostly daydreamt in the car. So i never noticed the roads while travelling in a car and this is one of the reasons i am pretty pathetic with roads. I also daydream during classes especially difficult subjects. So i hardly know what the teacher is teaching in class. The reason which caused these daydreams to develop is because i was socially shunned out. None liked mingling with me. May be to escape the loneliness i developed MD. After a few really
You are just like me.im really afraid of driving because i cant focus on it.and i cant listen to teacher

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Hearing Voices Forum 5