• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Making jokes of intrusive thoughts

S

swillis

I've literally never thought of this before, I suffer from sometimes moderately intrusive thoughts and I just thought of making jokes of them, it seems to give me alot more control and power over them, has anyone else adopted this technique?

I'm now considering either letting them go, joking about them or challenging them, challenging them seems to take alot of energy though.

jajingna

jajingna

Sounds like a good idea. Some say we need to accept or embrace whatever it is that we're going through, instead of resisting it.

M

Metanoia43

I've literally never thought of this before, I suffer from sometimes moderately intrusive thoughts and I just thought of making jokes of them, it seems to give me alot more control and power over them, has anyone else adopted this technique?

I'm now considering either letting them go, joking about them or challenging them, challenging them seems to take alot of energy though.
I had a circle of really close friends a few years back. When I had intrusive thoughts, we used to make inside jokes about it, I felt comfortable sharing it and they didn't ridicule me; instead we joked lightheartedly and with a pinch of gallows humour. It certainly helped me cope.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
intrusive thoughts? sounds like a deeper part of you wants something and your not listening.

become curious

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

I make jokes about my depression or anxiety. Sometimes it does make me feel more control of it. I also think it help me express it in a less vulnerable way.

U

Uther

intrusive thoughts? sounds like a deeper part of you wants something and your not listening.

become curious
Intrusive thoughts can be a real problem and be destructive in ones life.
You should not be advising one to pay more attention to them. They can have a very detrimental effect on ones life.

I like the op's approach.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Intrusive thoughts can be a real problem and be destructive in ones life.
You should not be advising one to pay more attention to them. They can have a very detrimental effect on ones life.

I like the op's approach.
its not demons whispering in your ear

its part of your own mind

S

swillis

its not demons whispering in your ear

its part of your own mind
If recovery through changing your thinking process was a thing, then maybe you could learn to encompass and accept your thoughts as yourself and start to work with them instead of on them etc. But it's not, you can't possibly think yourself out of intrusive thoughts, it just ends up getting more vicious of a cycle, hence why breaking the cycle of pondering your thoughts is suggested by most psychologists.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If recovery through changing your thinking process was a thing, then maybe you could learn to encompass and accept your thoughts as yourself and start to work with them instead of on them etc. But it's not, you can't possibly think yourself out of intrusive thoughts, it just ends up getting more vicious of a cycle, hence why breaking the cycle of pondering your thoughts is suggested by most psychologists.
thinking about thinking is what psychology is

its also what responsibility is

and what self awareness is

S

swillis

Your being very broad with your response, I'm talking in relation to intrusive thoughts. Psychology is about changing behaviours by thinking patterns yes. What I'm saying is basically that around 90% of people suffer some form of intrusive thoughts. To think that anyone has been able to resolve their intrusive thoughts by changing their thinking patterns is silly.

It hasn't or has hardly happened.

Being mentally responsible is about doing whats best for yourself in line with your needs and requirements, so if people find it easier to joke around their intrusive thoughts, then thats good for them and they should continue if it's the path that causes them least discomfort.

Self awareness is about having knowledge and an understanding of one self, to challenge thoughts when it causes you further distress shows that you aren't truly self aware, and theres something to be learnt.

Mr Oreo Bunny

Mr Oreo Bunny

Paying more attention and taking them seriously as what you want is actually the exact opposite of the right thing to do. Some of the ones I get are horrifying, and stuff that I would never ever in a million years actually consider doing. Most people brush them away, but some individuals have a very hard time with that. I would suggest maybe researching in depth what exactly they are and how they can affect someone.

Mr Oreo Bunny

Mr Oreo Bunny

Could everyone elaborate on the jokes?? I've been having some trouble with intrusive thoughts and it seems to have helped everyone else here cope.:)

mandy125

mandy125

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I still get intrusive thoughts from time to time
And they terrify me because most of them
are to do with harming myself or other people
so I don't listen when it gets bad
Instead I play music or use earbuds.
I don't bother listening to voices either unless I have to
There are coping methods and talking therapy's mine tells me to think less x

S

swillis

Could everyone elaborate on the jokes?? I've been having some trouble with intrusive thoughts and it seems to have helped everyone else here cope.:)
Being childish with them. If one of them tells you to hurt yourself or something just be like, na na nana naaa you can't get me or summit. Just being immature and petty with them. Giving them as much value as they have, none.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Paying more attention and taking them seriously as what you want is actually the exact opposite of the right thing to do. Some of the ones I get are horrifying, and stuff that I would never ever in a million years actually consider doing. Most people brush them away, but some individuals have a very hard time with that. I would suggest maybe researching in depth what exactly they are and how they can affect someone.
blame the demons then

and get an exorcism