• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

making friends...

epic fale boy

epic fale boy

um... anyone got any advice on how the hell to make new friends when you're isolated, lonely, lost contact with everyone you knew (even if they'd ever want to see you again), seen the friends that you met on the journey away from hell die from mostly self-inflicted causes (and boy you know it wasn't your fault, but you let them down so BAD), tried to make new friends who just took advantage of your vulnerabilities, tried to get through uni but failed because it's full of normal people who look at you funny and tutors who watch as you sink, are scared, angry, hurt, and ... er ...

oh yeah, and you never had any social skills in the first place having been brought up in a locked room full of books for 15 years? (hehe not juvie detention - disinterested parents lol)....

jeeeeeeez. advice welcome.

ps plus the self-hatred and zero self-esteem... oh, and i self-harm on my hands (don't ask) so it's difficult to hide.

thing is, I can talk to anyone as long as I've never met them, but the longer I know someone for the harder it gets to speak to them... am i the only one?

dammit.

R

_red_

hi epic fale boy

im really sorry to hear youve had such a tough time

im sorry i cant be of any help, truth is im in the same situation and dont really want friends, dont fel i deserve them but feel without them im going to get nowhere.

do you know what i mean?

all in all apologies for not being of assistance but i here u, and youre not alone

gemma

xxx

epic fale boy

epic fale boy

cheers gemma, thank you... knowing that it ain't just me is half the fight...

yep i don't really want friends either but i do i do i do. but i most certainly don't deserve any. ah well.

at least the presenters on news24 always smile and say hello, which is something.

:D

R

_red_

lmao that they do, that they do :)

how old are u? im sure u have years to find yourself some friends :)

epic fale boy

epic fale boy

early 30s so past the stage where I can go out and just 'fall in' with people (even if I had the confidence) and not old enough to be mature in my approach lol.

hehehe how quick we are to undercut ourselves eh? we're all gonna get there, and if we don't.... well...

...at least the presenters on news24 always smile and say hello, which is something. (it starts losing its humour the second time around... lol)

R

_red_

lmao yes i struggled to crack a smile that time ....but i did it just for u lol

early 30s thats still young! keep your chin up and something will come your way, aslong as we try not to hide ourselves away too much :S which is always a struggle i'll have to say....but who knows whats around every corner eh?

epic fale boy

epic fale boy

a mugger with a half-brick?

:p

yeah... struggle on tho... nowt else to do...

... ta for the chin up _red_

Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

Hi epic fale boy,

I've been in that situation but over time have built relationships with people, I was lucky enough to join a day centre for those struggling with mental health, its taken me a year though to eventually agree to meet one of the members for evening out! I guess I'm saying that friendship can spring up anytime so don't give up on people just yet!

Angel

J

janduckie

Oh dear lord, you are me! But you missed the bit where I work full time and everyone here thinks I'm a joke! Good isn't it.

B

Brian

Hi Epic fale boy,
and a good evening from Lincolnshire, I'm Brian 57 years old and pretty well isolated from the rest of the world. I have really no one to call a friend, but am finding these forums quite helpful for my depressed state. I would like to speak with you if that would suit you...you never know we might have things in common. Keep your chin up, try to smile....and take good care of yourself.

M

ms_sans

I am in a similar situation and I'm 23. Just so you know you're not alone.