• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Making a Killing

L

Lil

Firstly sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Has anyone seen the documentary Making a Killing: The Untold Story of Psychotropic Drugging?

Its a really interesting documentary talking about Psychiatry and the drug industry. It goes into the approval of drugs by the FDA in america which is made up with a majority of Psychiatrists who profit from approving drugs and how the clinical trials from these drugs can be as short as 3-8 weeks before releasing them into the community. It talks about ghost writing in medical journals, marketing and talks about side effects and case studies. I picked it up second hand from my local video store for $5... and found it fascinating, though definitely need to take it with a grain of salt. I think it goes a bit far in its claims there's this big corrupt money making scheme between the psychiatrists, doctors and the drug companies and there is no such thing as mental illness, they are making it up to make people take their dangerous drugs for the rest of their lives which will be dramatically shortened.... but the documentary does have some interesting facts that do make you think.

R

rasselas

I have seen this doc. It's not bad, somewhat alarmist, but factually it is bang on, though doesn't have the heavy-hitters you'd expect to see largely because, I think, it's produced by The Church of Scientology.

Mmm. Underlining has come on and I can't turn it off. It appears as though I'm trying to say that this sentence has particular significance.

What aspects would you take with a pinch of salt?

L

Lil

I think it goes a bit far in its claims there's this big corrupt money making scheme between the psychiatrists, doctors and the drug companies and there is no such thing as mental illness, they are making it up to make people take their dangerous drugs for the rest of their lives which will be dramatically shortened....
Thats pretty much what i meant with taking it with a grain of salt. Basically you got two sides of the story... this is one side, obviously the other side being that of the psychiatrists and doctors. Every documentary which tries to make the viewer agree with them will make things out to be more extreme than they are, they will (like this documentary accuses psychiatrists of) skew the numbers just a tad and not give you the whole background on the statistics they provide.

Had no idea the church of scientology had anything to do with the video.

See one thing i disagree with is that I would argue that there is such thing as mental illness. They claim mental illness is just made up diseases based on normal human emotion to market drugs. I wouldn't call schizophrenia a normal human state that "everyone experiences in their lifetime".

Basically i believe what the documentary says to an extent and its definitely got a lot of really interesting and useful information in it. For example, if you are on a medication, ensuring its one thats been in the public for at least 7 years.

A

Apotheosis

See one thing i disagree with is that I would argue that there is such thing as mental illness. They claim mental illness is just made up diseases based on normal human emotion to market drugs
In relation to a biological condition? Is mental illness 'illness'?

To disagree that there is a primary biological cause to the main MH categorisations - does not then negate the experiences that are labelled as such. Ironically - it is Orthodox practises that negate the subjective experiences of these conditions.

I agree that there are biological processes at work - but the question is whether these processes are a cause or an effect? & that is a critical question in this. There is no mind/brain split - the psychology of the mind & the physical brain are one. (Leaving aside some more esoteric or spiritual angles to all this).

The fact is that no one knows what 'mental illness' is - But the evidence would appear to point to multiple factors that are tied into social/economic & environmental concerns & criteria - things as wide ranging as diet, upbringing, trauma, inter-personal relationships - ect ect ect. That, to my mind, makes more sense than blaming everything on a theorised brain abnormality/condition.

If it turns out that these understandings are in fact correct - & that the primary causes of most MH conditions are not biological brain abnormalities - then that would indeed mean that the entire basis of the psychiatric diagnostic system; & the practises of drugging people as a primary treatment - is quite fatally flawed; in relation to actually genuinely helping people recover.

I do agree however that meds & bio-medical practise should play a part in the treatment of MH conditions - But it should be a 'part' - & simply one of many approaches; or a multi faceted & comprehensive system of support & assistance to help people get well. Sadly there is little profit in such approaches.

I am all for actual brain science & neurological study. Psychiatry, however, is not such science or study; it's pseudo science.

Last edited:
missymoo

missymoo

don't quote me, but I think mental illnesses have alot to do with modern civilization (chemicals, etc).

and....

I totally agree with the below statement that Apotheosis said:
"The fact is that no one knows what 'mental illness' is - But the evidence would appear to point to multiple factors that are tied into social/economic & environmental concerns & criteria - things as wide ranging as diet, upbringing, trauma, inter-personal relationships - ect ect ect. That, to my mind, makes more sense than blaming everything on a theorised brain abnormality/condition."