• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Major Depressive Episodes

W

WayneC

Does anyone else get these severe spells? They usually last between 10 to 14 days for me. During that time it's like my body shuts down and I can't function. I'm currently stuck in one and I have no appetite and insomnia. I'm having to self-medicate with alcohol just to survive the day. It's wrong I know but it's the only way I can survive. My doctor has limited me to just 7 2mg Diazepam a month now so I don't have those to rely on. I hope this episode passes soon :low:

wollie

wollie

Hi Wayne

Why has you doctor limited you to such a low dose, I have severe depression at times and yes they can last for 14 days, Try to keep off the booze and see your doctor again and see if he will incease your meds.

W

WayneC

Hi Wayne

Why has you doctor limited you to such a low dose, I have severe depression at times and yes they can last for 14 days, Try to keep off the booze and see your doctor again and see if he will incease your meds.
Wollie, he said they are now being instructed to cut down the dose on benzos that are addictive. I'll try and cut down the booze.

B

bpd2020

Hello Wayne. I am sorry to hear you are feeling so depressed. Are you on an antidepressant? Have you ever had therapy to try and find the root of your depression? If not then I would give those a try.

W

WayneC

Hello Wayne. I am sorry to hear you are feeling so depressed. Are you on an antidepressant? Have you ever had therapy to try and find the root of your depression? If not then I would give those a try.
bpd2020, I'm currently taking Citalopram 40mg. I've tried many other antidepressants down the years. I'm doing CBT with a therapist.

B

bpd2020

It is good to hear you are taking Citalopram. I would tell your GP you do not feel it is lifting your depression. They may want to increase the dose or try something else. I really hope the CBT helps. I know it can take time to implement the techniques.

K

Kittylove

Hi, I hope that this will soon pass for you. Try to stay as positive as you can. Hang in there.

K

Kiingyee

oh god i was just thinking about this today, it seems like it happens every other day, or sometimes every day.

J

JCPraha

It is good if you depression goes away within 2 weeks. I have had it for months at a time. I take benzos as well and they are very addictive. I try to control the amount I take. There is also a tolerance effect where increasingly large doses are needed to have the same effect.