• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Major depressive disorder

shy guy

shy guy

Hello everyone! I'm excited to explore this forum and be a part of it! I've been diagnosed with MDD. I take medication for depression and anxiety. I participated in counseling for about 2 years off and on. My depression started with some traumatic life events. I was diagnosed with a chronic illness and started to have a bad side effect to medicine prescribed for it. I tried to talking to my doctor about it, but it wasn't listed as a side effect to the medicine, so I was kept on it for over 2 years. I finally couldn't handle it anymore and took myself off the medicine. Now I am on different medicine that I handle better.

While all that was going on, I was also having a lot of trouble in my marriage. I felt so hopeless. The stress piled on me and was relentless. I was having a LOT of trouble sleeping. I sunk into a depression and have had it for probably 4 years now.

It's gotten some better as I've learned about it and have learned some coping strategies that help me. My coping strategies are to recognize my symptoms and be gentle with myself when I have them. Slow down, rest more, read, take walks, call a family member or friend that I have a supportive relationship with. I try to really ease up on my expectations of myself try to practice self-compassion.

My symptoms are discouragement, hopelessness, fear, anger, a feeling of helplessness. I get numb if it continues for awhile and can have pretty desperate thoughts. My symptoms are usually triggered by conflict in a relationship that doesn't get resolved right away.

Thank you for letting me share. Take care!

jajingna

jajingna

Welcome to the forum. Currently coping with depression myself, as are others on this site.

shy guy

shy guy

Welcome to the forum. Currently coping with depression myself, as are others on this site.
Thanks jajingna! Depression is tough. I have a lot more empathy now for people dealing with it and other mental illnesses. Hang in there : )

J

JeanPierre

Welcome here.
Yes that relationship conflict resolution thing! Ugh!
Enjoy the journey.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O Major depression and general anxiety Introduce Yourself 13
767s0 Here after a major mental breakdown.... Introduce Yourself 9
K I am New. I have had Major depress Disorder and anxiety for 15 years.I am on lots or of med and need people to talk to who understand. Introduce Yourself 5
R New to a forum. I suffer with panic disorder,chronic ptsd, gad, borderline personality disorder and major depression Introduce Yourself 17
P Where do I need to post? I need major help! Introduce Yourself 5
S My husband is suicidal and I have been dealing with Major Depression and Anxiety. Introduce Yourself 8
B Depressive Episode Introduce Yourself 16
Joe57 Persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia) Introduce Yourself 7
C Living with an eating disorder, apathy, recurring depressive episodes and - most recent - absolute aversion towards sex due to newly acquired trauma Introduce Yourself 3
I depressive episode????? Introduce Yourself 3
L Hello i am new and depressive Introduce Yourself 5
S A recurrent depressive Introduce Yourself 12
H Can valdoxan cause depression to a non depressive person?? Introduce Yourself 4
P Borderline personality disorder Introduce Yourself 3
S Newbie with Asperger's and Borderline Personality Disorder Introduce Yourself 8
B Recovered bulimic with bipolar disorder Introduce Yourself 4
I Binge Eating Disorder Introduce Yourself 7
S Panic disorder Introduce Yourself 10
S Dissociative Identity Disorder Help!! Introduce Yourself 3
F Borderline personality disorder Introduce Yourself 5
D Hi my name is dawn, just joined and I have an anxiety disorder. Introduce Yourself 16
P Generalized Anxiety Disorder/Constant Worry about the stupidest things/never sleep well Introduce Yourself 5
P New User. Generalized Anxiety Disorder which makes me worry CONSTANTLY. Introduce Yourself 14
D Long long long long term eating disorder Introduce Yourself 2
S Angry Sleeping Disorder From Severe Sexual Abuse.... Introduce Yourself 3
T My experience with derealization disorder Introduce Yourself 4
B New schizoaffective disorder Lamictal Introduce Yourself 6
T New here. Dealing with an eating disorder Introduce Yourself 4
R Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Introduce Yourself 5
P Emotionally unstable personality disorder Introduce Yourself 12
A All-of-the-Above Disorder Introduce Yourself 6
J Hi.brand new to this.i have just been diagnosed with clclothymic disorder.any advice on this would be more than grateful.thanks. Introduce Yourself 6
R Have bipolar 1 disorder for 30 years Introduce Yourself 3
T spitting foods eating disorder Introduce Yourself 4
J Bi polar disorder Introduce Yourself 3
J Hello, im looking to chat with people with conversion disorder Introduce Yourself 2
W (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) & Health Anxiety Introduce Yourself 2
D Anxiety/Panic disorder/ADD and ... vertigo? Introduce Yourself 4
L Hi I've joined as I struggle with anxiety and depression. I'm also supporting my 18yr daughter with an eating disorder. She's in denial. Introduce Yourself 6
A What disorder do I have? Introduce Yourself 3
B Hi i'm a borderline personality disorder sufferer and have felt stigmatised most of my life Introduce Yourself 16
H Reverse seasonal affective disorder Introduce Yourself 6
9 Panic disorder, anxiety and agoraphobia Introduce Yourself 6
A Hi, I'm new. Any mums on here who have an adult child with borderline personality disorder? Introduce Yourself 3
L Hi, I have social anxiety and bipolar disorder Introduce Yourself 1
Luna95 Eating disorder used as self harm Introduce Yourself 5
G Conversion disorder Introduce Yourself 3
LePlusBeau1 Living With Schizoaffective Disorder Introduce Yourself 9
J Looking for help with my son who has a severe tic disorder Introduce Yourself 4
S What is your bipolar disorder symptoms with medication? Introduce Yourself 3