• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Major Depression vs. Bipolar

M

Mr. T

If you had a choice between being just as depressed but not having the mania to deal with would you take that option?

jax

jax

No way. I love my mania's - most of the time. Depression is so hard to deal with for me. I get myself into a lot of trouble when I am high - but it is fun doing it!!
Jacqui x

M

Mr. T

I feel the same way. Either way i get dilusions and hallucinations.

When im low i get paranoid, i think im hell, literally
when im high i think i can literally do anything.

Feeling you can do anything is an amazing feeling but i tend to get irritable and snappy.

When im low i hear voices, when im high i dont.

I prefer being high.
But ideally i would rather just be happy in the normal sense of the word.

A

Ada888

Hi there, I've got bipolar, but if I had a choice I would just have depression. I know people with depression and they seem better off than me, and one lady has depression and no voices. I would rather that than swinging between mania and depression. I get voices both when I'm manic/depressed and even when I'm "normal".

M

Mr. T

At least depression is cureable allthough it can be chronic. My grandmother was hospitalized because of depression, people all get confused between the depression everyone gets and when depression has become a mental illness.

Having said that its cureable some people are just depressive and they will always fall back into a depression when they come off meds. Ive read that mania is a way of escaping the depression. And yet it can be just as disruptive.

M

Mr. T

oh plus with my hallucinations i can distort things to my will but sometimes when i do that they get a mind of their own. It makes going into crowded places (where they are worst more interesting, im kind of socially anxious, BUT NOT WHEN IM HIGH- that is one advantage, Last time when i came down i got really agrophobic and paranoid and couldnt go into public places i started having flashbacks too. It seems that every time i come down my depression is worse more psychotic and more agitated
And everytime i go up i go higher .(y)

M

Mr. T

Guess that means what i have is still developing. YAY! :(

M

mad as a hatter

yeah the lows r real bad and i wish i could get over them but i can,t be bothered with the high,s ne more there annoyin and disruptive and at the end the day u still gotta come bk down from them i,m fed up with that cause it only makes ,y depression worse in the long run i,d rather try level my mood out if that,s possible doesn,t mean i don,t crave a high when i,m low cause i do but comin off meds not a n option cause u only end up in hospital i don,t wan tha not fair on my family that either

J

jamesdean

I honestly dont know how any body copes with the mania all the time because,it must be uncontrollable one minute flying n the next in the depths of depression.it seems to me when you are high you want to spend money have loads of sex get drunk take drugs anything that gives you a buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,I really couldnt handle all that.

A

Ada888

The problem I get is - the higher the Mania the bigger the Fall. And when I come out of a manic episode I get paranoid and sink into a low before my mood can level out again. I know lots of people with schizophrenia and depression, but don't know anyone else with bipolar disorder. This is why I am so happy I found this forum (y)

M

mad as a hatter

jd

u r so right it is a nitemare and a living hell having these mood swings that r totally out control they wreck my life even on meds i can,t seem 2 get them under control allong with the voices and other things i,m srugglin 2 cope with i all everday