• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Major Depression / Treatment Resistant

J

JCPraha

I know. Bad depression destroys everything. But, I am trying what I am able to try. I suppose I have to try. Just staying the way I am is not possible to live with. I really don't know what I will do if this doesn't work. No idea how I can carry on in this terrible state.

Catty5

Catty5

@JCPraha

I feel exactly how you feel.... lots of fear and anxiety. I’m scared if it won’t work. I may be one of those worst cases.

L

Lina95

Hello Tmarecha!
Can you tell us what meds you took, and what medical tests you did so far
Sometimes depression is a symptom of some other condition
Did they check your thyroid? Vitamin D3 level? Do you have any other symptoms like acne, joint pain, skin conditions?

J

JCPraha

@Catty5 I had 5 ECT treatments so far. I think it is beginning to help. I will have #6 on Friday and then 3 more next week. I should know at that point whether it will work for me or not. I hope it does, because I don't know of anything else I can try. If it works, I can get maintenance treatments once or twice per month as an outpatient. But this depression is so terrible, I will try anything to get rid of it. I hope you are doing ok.

Catty5

Catty5

@JCPraha

Good to hear from you again.
ECT 9 times total?
I go to TMS. I think my brain cleared up and can sleep well without med but I don’t feel good yet.
I have so much fear and anxiety by wondering if it’ll work or not....my depression is sooooo horrible, it took away my career. Like you, I hope it’ll work for me. We’re in the same boat.

J

JCPraha

@Catty5
Right now I am thinking I will get 9 treatments and then maintenance once per month. This treatment appears to be my last resort. I don't know what else could possibly help after this. But I am still hopeful. Anxiety and fear are the worse symptoms for me to cope with, they really make an entire day miserable. Keep trying. I think the TMS will help you, to at least get into a tolerable state of mind.

Catty5

Catty5

@JCPraha
I wrote to your another post. What are the symptoms of your depression? Mine has a sort of cognitive impairment=my brain isn’t working well. I’m scared to death wondering if my brain function will be back or not. Nobody explains it to me.

J

JCPraha

Hello Catty,
My brain does not function so well for complex tasks. I often have no energy and depressed, like in a dark dreary place. At other times I am anxious and tense.

Most of the time it is miserable. I am not stable. Mood swings. Sometimes can't sleep.

No one can explain it. I often feel like it is a form of dementia, in my case. I suppose it is the depression. It feels like Alzheimers sometimes.

Catty5

Catty5

Hello Catty,
My brain does not function so well for complex tasks. I often have no energy and depressed, like in a dark dreary place. At other times I am anxious and tense.

Most of the time it is miserable. I am not stable. Mood swings. Sometimes can't sleep.

No one can explain it. I often feel like it is a form of dementia, in my case. I suppose it is the depression. It feels like Alzheimers sometimes.
I even cannot do simple tasks well. My brain
Hello Catty,

Hi again

I sometimes feel exactly the same as you feel....i’m older. I may have Alzheimer’s or dementia. Or any sort of neuro degenerative disorder. I remember 40 some years old Alzheimer’s patient at work before.

J

JCPraha

I am a bit old myself. I am 60. But the mental illness makes me feel like 80. It's the depression. Today is not so bad. I get another ECT treatment tomorrow.

I hope your treatment is helping.

Catty5

Catty5

I am a bit old myself. I am 60. But the mental illness makes me feel like 80. It's the depression. Today is not so bad. I get another ECT treatment tomorrow.

I hope your treatment is helping.
I’m older than you. I feel i’m dementing or have brain damages. I’m in a medical field and knows too much about mental illness. It scars me. I’m more pessismistic rattan than optimistic with TMS. It’s bad

J

JCPraha

So you have worked a long time. I suppose you are being forced to slow down. We all slow down with age. Cant really avoid it.

Catty5

Catty5

@JCPraha

It sounds good you feel ok today. Yes i’ve worked a long time. I still want to go back again a bit more. But I cannot work as I used to do anymore now.
I went to TMS. I have no idea how it’ll help me so far. I’m not myself at all yet.

Hope ECT will work for you

J

JCPraha

@Catty5 It seems no one really knows so much about mental health. Meds are inexact at best and they have no idea how ECT or TMS actually works. Then when you try a med it takes 6 weeks to determine if it is working or not.

So who knows?

I worked for 40 years. I should work more but I'm not at all sure it will be possible given my condition. At this point just getting through a day without severe depression would be a victory.

Catty5

Catty5

@Catty5 It seems no one really knows so much about mental health. Meds are inexact at best and they have no idea how ECT or TMS actually works. Then when you try a med it takes 6 weeks to determine if it is working or not.

So who knows?

I worked for 40 years. I should work more but I'm not at all sure it will be possible given my condition. At this point just getting through a day without severe depression would be a victory.
I’ve been the professional in the mental health field for nearly 3 decades but i have to confess I’m not so optimistic since i know meds aren’t work for everybody. Lots of people are hearing voices still today. I was a graduate student when Prozac became popular in the market. I took it as a brand form. it worked well at that time. But i’m on Fluixetine a generic form for 3 months. I have no idea how it’s doing in my head now. It may work again or not. I’m not sure.
We’re in the same boat by desperately trying to get rid of horrible depression.