Major anxiety at night

M

Meshell1289

Hi, I have been experiencing major anxiety during the night. It started from a very stressful few days where I couldn't sleep and I got worried because I've never had sleep issues before. I've always slept well. It's been over a month and I am only sleeping maybe a few hours at most and still having anxiety as I fall asleep or it wakes me up. I've already tried meditation techniques and other relaxing activities and exercise. Anyone have suggestions? I may see a therapist soon.

Y

Yodagirl

Hi, I have been experiencing major anxiety during the night. It started from a very stressful few days where I couldn't sleep and I got worried because I've never had sleep issues before. I've always slept well. It's been over a month and I am only sleeping maybe a few hours at most and still having anxiety as I fall asleep or it wakes me up. I've already tried meditation techniques and other relaxing activities and exercise. Anyone have suggestions? I may see a therapist soon.
Hello, I’m sorry you’re going through this. Have you considered seeing your GP? I know not sleeping well can really throw everything off. Hope things start to look up for you soon. :hug:

M

Meshell1289

Hello, I’m sorry you’re going through this. Have you considered seeing your GP? I know not sleeping well can really throw everything off. Hope things start to look up for you soon. :hug:
Thank you. Yes I saw her a few weeks ago and I did try a sleeping pill but it made me feel worse in the morning. She said not to take it often anyway. She suggested sleep hygiene methods which I try but the anxiety is strong. I just get worried that I won't get back to normal.

Y

Yodagirl

Thank you. Yes I saw her a few weeks ago and I did try a sleeping pill but it made me feel worse in the morning. She said not to take it often anyway. She suggested sleep hygiene methods which I try but the anxiety is strong. I just get worried that I won't get back to normal.
Don’t be afraid to go back as many times as you feel you need until things feel right. Often times the meds work different on everyone. I take Trazdone for sleep every night and have no side affects. Also did she offer you anything for the anxiety?

-Brandi

M

Meshell1289

Don’t be afraid to go back as many times as you feel you need until things feel right. Often times the meds work different on everyone. I take Trazdone for sleep every night and have no side affects. Also did she offer you anything for the anxiety?

-Brandi
She mentioned using an anti-depressant for anxiety. I'm trying not to use medications though as much as I can.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

I normally get up 5am every day, no matter what day it is, & don't go to bed until at least 8-9pm, it's normally quiet 5-7am where I live it's relaxing before it gets noisy. & I find I sleep well 8-9pm to 5am.

M

Meshell1289

I normally get up 5am every day, no matter what day it is, & don't go to bed until at least 8-9pm, it's normally quiet 5-7am where I live it's relaxing before it gets noisy. & I find I sleep well 8-9pm to 5am.
Thank you for your response. I try to do that as well.

Y

Yodagirl

Exercise can also be really good as well. While exercising you release dopamine and serotonin.

L

Lunar Lady

This is tricky Meshell because the problem snowballs. The more experiences you have of anxiety during the night, the more anxiety builds up at the prospect of going to bed and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I went through a phase of panic attacks when I got into bed - frightening at the best of times, but downright terrifying when you're alone during the night. It only happened twice - but that was enough to make me fear going to bed and the anxiety steadily increased throughout the evening.

You mentioned a 'few stressful days' but was there something specific that upset you and your mind has glossed over it?

Sometimes, we shove more unpleasant thoughts in a large cupboard in our brain. Once we relax, the cupboard door bursts open from the strain of the garbage we've shoved in there, and your head starts to spin with thoughts like a washing machine on its final spin.

My suggestion would be to go back through those 'stressful days'. Is there anything you need to come to terms with...express...or emotionally process before you can file it away? There could be something bothering you and this is what rises to the surface at night.

No idea what age you are - but physical comfort is soothing. If you've got a pet, a child or a warm body to snuggle up to, it really helps. In the absence of those options - a good old-fashioned hot water bottle wrapped in a snuggly sweater is genuinely very soothing.

Hope you find some relief Meshell - and let us know how you're getting on.

Lots of love xx :hug:

M

Meshell1289

This is tricky Meshell because the problem snowballs. The more experiences you have of anxiety during the night, the more anxiety builds up at the prospect of going to bed and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I went through a phase of panic attacks when I got into bed - frightening at the best of times, but downright terrifying when you're alone during the night. It only happened twice - but that was enough to make me fear going to bed and the anxiety steadily increased throughout the evening.

You mentioned a 'few stressful days' but was there something specific that upset you and your mind has glossed over it?

Sometimes, we shove more unpleasant thoughts in a large cupboard in our brain. Once we relax, the cupboard door bursts open from the strain of the garbage we've shoved in there, and your head starts to spin with thoughts like a washing machine on its final spin.

My suggestion would be to go back through those 'stressful days'. Is there anything you need to come to terms with...express...or emotionally process before you can file it away? There could be something bothering you and this is what rises to the surface at night.

No idea what age you are - but physical comfort is soothing. If you've got a pet, a child or a warm body to snuggle up to, it really helps. In the absence of those options - a good old-fashioned hot water bottle wrapped in a snuggly sweater is genuinely very soothing.

Hope you find some relief Meshell - and let us know how you're getting on.

Lots of love xx :hug:
Thanks for your response! I am currently in grad school and that has been really stressful so having this problem has made me more stressed that I'm not resting well. I have a few other stressful things as well that I'll have to address. What did you do to stop that anxiety that you had? How long did you have that problem?

frogsplash

frogsplash

hi, some meds which can help your anxiety at night and promote better sleep are:

trazodone (can help give you better sleep, and reduce depression/anxiety)
pregabalin (can help give more deeper sleep and reduce anxiety)
agomelatine (can promote deeper sleep, reduce anxiety and restore circadian rhythm)