• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Major Anxiety about doing an Exposure Exercise tomorrow.

O

Ocdexposed

I suffer from extremely violent, sexual and repugnant thoughts. Usually all mixed in together and then they multiply and become more and more grotesque the more I think about them or try not to think about them. As part of my treatment my Psychologist has me doing exposure exercises which entail mainly me stating the thoughts I have to others.

I'm doing this to get better and one would think I would look forward to going. But for me group therapy is my exposure exercise because I care what other people think of me. So I guess it makes sense that I'm not looking forward to going. The goal I guess would be to look forward to going, or being bored to go. I went to another group, and the members were pretty knowledgeable about OCD, so the thoughts I revealed weren't too upsetting.

The group I'm going to meet with tomorrow meets occasionally (I went twice before a few months ago) and isn't very well structured. People tend to come and go. Some of the OCD problems with the other members are perfectionism and writing, so not in the same area of mine. I've been ruminating about a safe exposure "Intrusive thought" I can share with them that some won't find appalling or shocking, but that is also still anxiety provoking for me, so I can make progress. Which I know is a form of avoidance. Then part of me wants to say, screw it, I'm there for me, I'm there to make myself better, forget what everyone else thinks. I'm going to talk about thoughts my brain has of .(Insert very upsetting thought)

I feel that my ruminating about what's the perfect thought to lay on these poor unsuspecting people to not freak them out is a way for me to say to myself I did the exposure, but in reality I kind of did it to say I did it with-out actually going "all in" an doing the exposure.

I don't know what I'm really asking for in posting this. Maybe some advice or a different (outside) perspective on how someone else may view my situation?

M

Mastiff mom

Sounds like you're having a terrible time. I think you are wise to check out different groups and find one you feel comfortable with it. You could start sharing in a general way and see if the group is supportive. Giving the group aa chance to know you before going into more detail could be a wise move. Are you in therapy. If not, it might be a safe place you could share what's going on with you. I wish you all the best. Hugs.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't know where you've got the idea that you should be looking forward to going.
I'd say it's pretty natural to be really anxious and be wanting to run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. :hug1:

All credit to you for giving this sort of thing a go in the past and be willing to try again.

Do you not think that perhaps other people at the group might have similar intrusive thoughts to your own?
It may be that they're too scared to reveal that they struggle with unpleasant images/thoughts too.
What i'm trying to say is, if it's any consolation, I can imagine at least one other person will be able to relate to you.

It's so hard not to worry about people's judgements, but hopefully an environment such as the group you're going to sounds as though it'll be more accepting that if you were to tell any random person.
Everybody is there to feel better and so hopefully they'll be sympathetic towards you.

O

Ocdexposed

Thank you for the reply. It went well actually. I was as graphic as I intended to be but still pretty descriptive. Everyone in the group was understanding and supportive. A lot of Magnification on my part before the actual meeting.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
U Major Paranoia, Anxiety, Panicky....is this OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
wowzerz Do I just have major trust issues? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 10
T Does anyone else have major doubts about the things they love with ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
D Anxiety causing a bubbling /Gurgling feeling in my chest? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
P OCD and anxiety over blood borne viruses Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
W anxiety over being blacked out drunk not remembering Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 33
O OCD Zoloft Dosage Increase, More Anxiety, Panic Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
G New member - Harm OCD/false memory/anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
MrBond007 OCD/Anxiety over a plethora of irrational things and I don't know why. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
S help is it ocd or just anxiety? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
Z Sexual obsessions and anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
ketuntassut compulsive thoughts? anxiety? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
S When do you think somebody is abusing my OCD/Anxiety? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
ZaraHOCD Anxiety for HOCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
U OCD to anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
M Anyone have tips on how to recover OCD/Anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
W I constantly feel filthy no matter how much I clean and have anxiety attacks over it all the time Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
H anxiety over becoming an older father Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
M Intrusive thoughts and a "delay" of anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Anxiety regarding mental illness informations Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
I Severe OCD, Anxiety and Depression - cured! My story, which may help you to find the right way. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
G Anxiety burning sensation throughout body Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 10
S Can't overcome OCD even though my anxiety is gone Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
G Intrusive thoughts constant anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
G My anxiety turning into ocd thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
E Self help tips for ocd or anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
M Anxiety that employers will “see the OCD” Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
B Bad HOCD, Social Anxiety and Delusions (Auditory Hallucinations, Paranoia). Please help if you can. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Resting to heal from the Anxiety that comes from the intrusive thoughts. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
S OCD Suferrer Anxiety/Guilt/Panic On STD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
S OCD->Anxiety->Depression Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
J OCD, panic attacks, extreme anxiety and depression. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 11
A HEALTH ANXIETY!! - HIGH LDLS Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
S OCD/SLEEP ANXIETY ISSUE Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
MissPink Has anyone tried RediCalm for anxiety? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
P OCD and Anxiety!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B OCD / Panic Attacks/ Anxiety Coping Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
M Is neurosis the sane as having OCD and anxiety? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
J OCD, ANXIETY, OR REAL? Please help! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P OCD, Anxiety and Derealisation Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
L Do I have OCD - PTSD - Anxiety or something else? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
Satirical OCD and Anxiety Phone Apps Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P These forums still active? Here goes........ OCD? General Anxiety or just Messed Up inside? Freaky event! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
Z OCD, anxiety or paranoia? PLEASE HELP ME.. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A Relationship OCD causing anxiety and distress Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
O OCD anxiety graph android app Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
D Anxiety-OCD help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
B OCD feeding an anxiety state Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
Anime-Alchemy Intrusive thoughts, anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
M Marijuana and anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2