• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Madness, Drugs and Capitalism: An Exploration by Dr Joanna Moncrieff

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

i don't understand how so many people don't see it?
I don't know.
Part of me perhaps is a bit naive.. I don't want to believe that medicine/drugs are there to be made a profit form. I suppose I just want to think that they're there to help people, that people who develop medicines are doing it from a point of wanting to help rather than just make a few (million?) quid.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't know.
Part of me perhaps is a bit naive.. I don't want to believe that medicine/drugs are there to be made a profit form. I suppose I just want to think that they're there to help people, that people who develop medicines are doing it from a point of wanting to help rather than just make a few (million?) quid.
Globally the entire pharmaceutical industry is at hundreds of Billions profit a year.

F

firemonkee57

I think making reasonable profits is ok but not when profits become excessive and the push to market product overrides ethical and factual factors.

Monroe1980

Monroe1980

I know in Ireland that St. John's Wort is completely banned. It obviously has no patent protection so no single pharmaceutical company can exclusively market it. They say it's because of drug interactions. I'm sure the real reason is pressure from big US pharmaceutical companies based here.