• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Made out to be monsters

U

unique86

I was just thinking how come those of us with BPD are thought of as monsters? Everything I read makes us out to sound bad negative.

BrianHorlicks

BrianHorlicks

Because,
People like 'labels',
It's easier for people to understand,
People won't go and find out why,
They don't need to.
because you have a 'label'.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

I don't know much about BPD, or personality disorders in general. My diagnosis is schizophrenia, but some professionals in the MH sphere have speculated I may have Aspergers or a PD at times, though most of them have reached a consensus on schizophrenia.

I think the society and environment we live in, subjects many of us to very difficult and significant stresses and strains. This in turn shapes our personalities, and can lead to habits in behaviour, that bring us into conflict with others, and creates interpersonal difficulties. These responses are very human, and very understandable, considering the shit people go through.

This is a problem for us - but also for other people. And I think it's when other people are effected, and matters don't run smoothly, that the notion of 'personality disorder' raises its head.

But who gets to say what is, and what is not, a 'disordered personality'? And how does it differ from an 'ordered personality'?

I think it is easier to label people as having a personality disorder, rather than address the economic, political and social issues and biases, that give rise to tensions and problems in the first place :)

keepsafe

keepsafe

Yaya for this post I get you completely - Like it so much

thanks
xxx

U

unique86

Thanks for the replies.
I haven't long been diagnosed with BPD so been learning about it.
Not many people know I've got it.
I feel unsure to let many know?

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks for the replies.
I haven't long been diagnosed with BPD so been learning about it.
Not many people know I've got it.
I feel unsure to let many know?
Hi unique86,

I was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago.

Again, it's 'just a label', i try not to let it define me,
although I find , if matters get troublesome,...
I can learn to identify which of its symptoms i am experiencing i.e lonliness / pain / destruction ... and try to find out either the root cause, or. my current circumstances and feelings around the condition.

I journal a lot. If you are interested: http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread99506.html

Be well :)

U

unique86

My illness is caused from childhood trauma I'm currently doing DBT
My mum just said oh right when I told her my diagnosis not sure some are that bothered to be honest!

U

UMPALUMPA

Its upsetting to say the least how people view blpd even in clinic.

We are all individual and unique :), you cant put a lable on that. :dance:

U

unique86

Most of us have this due to something that happened to us during childhood! Yet I feel like we are being blamed for having it

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
"personality disorder can be an illness but in your case it isn't an illness" thought new broom and his diagnosis will be gone in 6 months proved right

calypso

calypso

Admin
Its total prejudice from the MH professionals. They seem to think that anything with PD after is untreatable! Marsha Linehan, who started the DBT therapy, challenges that head on. Labels can work for you or against you. I do wish the MH people would try and see just people with problems. They all say that they do, but they don't!

U

UMPALUMPA

-------------

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SicklyBloom Personality Disorders Forum 3