• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Made fun of/laughed at

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Has anyone ever been laughed at or made fun of. It used to happen to me in my childhood. This person I would play football with, I would be the center of his jokes and other people would laugh at me.

At the time it was uncomfortable but as i've got older, when i look back on those events, it' angers me.

W

Waverunner

Yep. It hurt then and hurts now.

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

I have had that happen Anime-Alchemy and it has provoked a range of emotions in me, including anger. I am sorry to hear what you have experienced. :hug1:

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Something has angered me. My girlfriend got upset because her brother, sister and father were laughing at her. At some point she bangs her head against something on purpose because of her family laughing at her. At this point her brother having seen my girlfriend bang her head on purpose, continues laughing.

It just angers me soooo much how horrible people can be. The irony is that if I question her brother, etc they will just get defensive or say that it was all light hearted.

chesterking

chesterking

Laughed at in college because I couldn't work

I just use to sit in college at the age of 18, and I never did no work. I suppose that's the reason why people were laughing at me day after day. I never did no work because of my mental illness. I never reacted when people were laughing at me. I just use to sit there with no facial expressions whatsoever.
The reasons why I could not work, was because I had some sort of mental illness which my father was and is responsible for. Please see my other posts.

At the time I could not understand why the other college students in my group were laughing at me. Now 19 years later, thanks to meditation, I can see things now which I could not see before.

When I was 19 years old, I really began to feel the pain. I spent my whole life, that's more than 18 years confined to my house, to embarrassed to go out because I did not like people laughing at me. It really hurt. In my house I use to feel really lonely, just pacing up and down in frustration waiting for my parents to come back home or for my sister to walk through the door.
At the time I thought I would love to have friends and a social life. I missed out on so much.

Now that my ego is mostly gone thanks to meditation, things like this don't hurt me. Maybe just a little.

'Forgiveness is to set a prisoner free and then to find out that prisoner was me.'

The Power of Forgiveness by Gregory Dickow.

Last edited:
Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I'm sorry that you experienced all that. Your better and stronger than those who laugh at you.

I understand logically that the best way to deal with things like this, is to have positive coping strategies and mechanisms.
But it's the emotional part of me that finds it hard to understand. In time I hope that all of us who have experienced things like being laughed at, etc, will find positive ways to overcome past pains.

chesterking

chesterking

Bizarre mental illness

I developed a bizarre mental illness where even when people were laughing on tv, I thought they were laughing at me. But now my ego has gone it doesn't matter whether people are laughing at me or just laughing, it doesn't bother me anymore. I can happily listen to a recording of people laughing on youtube and it doesn't bother me the slightest. God, I wish had took up meditation a long time ago. It would have saved me a lot of problems.

Check out my meditation website at https://jjs02.wordpress.com/

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I had a quick look on your website. I have tried mindfulness in the past and been doing it on and off casually.
I will start to do it on a regular basis because of the benefits I believe it can bring. It's cool that your into it. I hope it has brought you great benefits.

As for being laughed at, you can overcome the past pain of being laughed at. Because it's in the past, not in the present.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I know this only too well.
This is why I "can't take a joke" and people tell me i'm "too sensitive" - because nobody's ever laughed at me in a way that was inclusive and good-humoured.
I've only ever been humiliated and bullied... so no, I can't just laugh off people's comments.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

I can't remember a time when I wasn't laughed at, and made to feel different. Goes right the way back to childhood, and right throughout infant, junior and secondary school and beyond.

As an adult I've been laughed at, and called a 'retard' and been referred to by one obnoxious gobshite as a 'special citizen' :curseyou:

Unique1

Unique1

Because I like to make people laugh and be quite humorous, it seems others think to make fun at you is the same thing. It is obviously not the same thing, some people don't understand banter, and go to far, making it personal.
It stopped me being humorous with people because it left me wide open to this return banter type bullying. Which crossed the line with me. If you have to make fun of someone to be funny and then say 'I was only joking' then it's really not funny at all. I wish more people could understand and see this. A lot of people have pissed me off with this and especially the response 'oh you cant take a joke' it kinda knocked some of my humourous character out of me and made me dislike people a lot.

Unique1

Unique1

I can't remember a time when I wasn't laughed at, and made to feel different. Goes right the way back to childhood, and right throughout infant, junior and secondary school and beyond.

As an adult I've been laughed at, and called a 'retard' and been referred to by one obnoxious gobshite as a 'special citizen' :curseyou:
Yeh that calling names thing. Makes me so so angry!! X

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have had many years of it to the point that I never believe positives and always concentrate on the negatives and then I have a habit of twisting the negatives to make them worse.

My poor therapist gets me in floods of tears when she even attempts to get me to agree to a certain thing.

The words never leave you.....

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I'm sorry to read that this happened to you. I think going to school can be very tough for a lot of children because there tends to be a group mentality. It;s also the same in college, etc.
For example: You have a group of people together, you may then have someone in that group who is made as the joke of the group. But if someone else objects to their peers being made fun of, then that individual is also subjected to being laughed at, etc.

Despite all this though, you can overcome these bad experiences/trauma.

D

Dottyone

Words can be very Cruel especially if pointed at a person. I think this is quite a common problem but it bloody hurts unique1:hug:

I joke a lot and enjoy banter, but I make sure to never to point it at people.