• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mad or possessed?

SarahD

SarahD

I am starting to wonder if there is any such thing as mental illness, I think diagnoses are just a way of categorising things. And they always get it wrong/change their minds. And the treatments don't work.

I went into a church near the hotel the other day. I didn't stay long because it was unbearably crowded. But I heard a reading about possession. I started thinking about it, I used to believe in that kind of stuff when I was young. I started to wonder if I could be possessed and the more I thought about it the more I thought maybe that's what is happening to me. I have had some really strange experiences at the hotel.

Whatever it is, I have really had enough. I've got MH people off my back for a few weeks I hope, and if I can't sort this out... well it is over.

BillFish

BillFish

I am starting to wonder if there is any such thing as mental illness, I think diagnoses are just a way of categorising things. And they always get it wrong/change their minds. And the treatments don't work.

I went into a church near the hotel the other day. I didn't stay long because it was unbearably crowded. But I heard a reading about possession. I started thinking about it, I used to believe in that kind of stuff when I was young. I started to wonder if I could be possessed and the more I thought about it the more I thought maybe that's what is happening to me. I have had some really strange experiences at the hotel.

Whatever it is, I have really had enough. I've got MH people off my back for a few weeks I hope, and if I can't sort this out... well it is over.
I'd like to think that if I was possessed, I'd be more motivated and animated, unless that is, if I've been possessed by a fat lazy middle aged hasbeen:meanie:

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I am starting to wonder if there is any such thing as mental illness
So, when you hear people claim to be the second coming of Christ and vowing to go and crucify themselves in the attic (exactly as I have experienced) you would believe them and not think there's something going terribly wrong in their brains? And you don't think that maybe the human brain is incredibly complex and therefore, like the rest of the human body, prone to all sorts of malfunctions - many of which science has yet to fathom? And you don't think that maybe - blaming 'possession' isn't actually just an easy way out - placing the blame 'elsewhere' and therefore beyond human control?

C

Christobel

Sarah. I'm so sorry you are in a bad place just now. Paranoia is just the worst. If you can, I would call a halt to this, by contacting someone who can help - of course you may already have done so - I'm late seeing your post. As you know, I too have TD but it is kept completely under control with medication. I would have no hesitation about going back on antipsychotics if I were in your situation.

Kerome

Kerome

I think the comment about diagnosis being categorisation is totally fair enough, it is. But there are streams of psychiatry which hold that it's not about what label you carry, but what happened to you. Each person to a large extent is unique, and your history determines a lot of what you are.

But madness being possession? It sounds far fetched. Now If CPU were here he would no doubt argue the benefits of spirit release treatment by various healers, and perhaps that helps some people, the spiritual human being is complex and many sided. But I think for most people it's not close to the truth, and they are more likely to be helped by a supportive social environment, talking therapy, groundedness and medication in combination with mindfulness and light meditation.

SarahD

SarahD

That all sounds sensible.

I am not very well at the moment.

C

catmom

Every disease has a spiritual root. That's not to say that every mental issue is possession.

Read Anatomy of the Spirit by Carolyn Myss.

Kerome

Kerome

Every disease has a spiritual root. That's not to say that every mental issue is possession
I can't say I agree. Many ailments and diseases are down to poor nutrition, infections and so on. Then there are the just plain bodily breakdowns, such as the gall bladder inflammation that my grandmother suffered recently. Spiritual causes are a distant third if you ask me, even though they can have major effects.

For mental illness I rather suspect it mirrors the physical - all the usual poor nutrition, lack of vitamins, infections, breakdown of the brains mechanisms will be present, and then spiritual causes. But who knows, perhaps spiritual causes are more common in mental illness, it would not surprise me. I'd love some intrepid spiritual researcher to do some genuine research in this area.

For those who are interested, I had a quick scan of the book quoted above and it purports to show a healing system by unifying principles from the Hindu Chakras, Christian Sacraments and Jewish Kaballah to show a series of gates to spiritual health and power. People seem to like it, lots of positive reviews on Amazon. I may add it to my reading list...

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Now If CPU were here he would no doubt argue the benefits of spirit release treatment by various healers, and perhaps that helps some people, the spiritual human being is complex and many sided. But I think for most people it's not close to the truth, and they are more likely to be helped by a supportive social environment, talking therapy, groundedness and medication in combination with mindfulness and light meditation.
i'm here.

i'd advocate for (& always have) an ideal person centred comprehensive/integrated system/approach to peoples care, with a focus on genuinely humane, understanding & supportive approaches.

i do think that things are often highly individual & potentially complex, covering the entire range of 'mental health' experiences/conditions, & crossing bio/psycho/social/spiritual areas.

Part of the difficulty i think is all the either/or arguments & perspectives. It doesn't all fit 'spiritual matters', but nor does it all fit 'biological' concerns/reasons. i think there needs to be an approach that takes into consideration & care regarding everything in a persons life - their physical health/condition, as well as psychological/emotional/relational, social/environmental, & spiritual/transpersonal factors.

i think there is a place for front end services & intensive support interventions/medications for some people - & i also think there is a place for far more holistic/healing based care.

To ever arrive at such a comprehensive approach to understanding & care i think could take another 200 years, if it ever happens at all, & i think would require existing in a far more genuinely civilised society/World.

L
you can read in the bible about the story of legion. He was also possessed. and healed. so it depends on if you have a lot of anxiety in your life ,which can allow demons to get to you. so try believe in this, It is the ultimate kind of healing and freedom. mark 7 or somewhere in the new testament. you can google it or try bible.org, or bible gateway.. you just have to have balance. and knowledge is power.

love lisa hugs. my mother swears by it....