• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Lyrics that resonate

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I feel so unwell today but I’ve been listening to music while I managed to change my bed and done some cleaning and I picked a random playlist on Spotify and a few songs just made me stop and listen to the words.

Sometimes I think we struggle to articulate what we what we want to say and maybe others have put it in to words for us and suddenly we’re like ‘yep that’s exactly it’.

A few of the lyrics that resonate right now..

Dark waters - Tones and I
“I get lost sometimes but if you ask I’ll say I’m doing just fine”
“Feel like I’ve been lost forever, I feel like I’ve been lost at sea, and don’t you try to find me cause the tide has pulled me deep”
“I don’t want to live forever in the sea, the tide keeps pulling me away from who I used to be, and I don’t wanna go cause I think I might just be the only person living in the sea”

Fly away - Tones and I
“No one knew how low I was feeling, I was scared to reach it at all, knowing I was here for a reason, but I was scared that if I tried I’d fall”

Falling - Harry Styles
“What am I now? What if I’m someone I don’t want around? I’m falling again”

Love lies - Khalid & Normani
“Don’t be afraid to tell me if you ain’t with it, I see you’re focused yeah you’re so independent, it’s hard for me to open up I’ll admit it, you’ve got some shit to say and I’m here to listen”
“If you’re down don’t hide it, feeling me you don’t gotta deny it, baby you gon’ make me overnight it, tell me are you down?”

What are some you guys have been listening to that explain how you feel?

Bod

Bod

I try not to listen to any sad songs at all as they can bring us down and then we feel worse, on my MP3 player that is on now with my headphones I have over 200 songs from different artists like Fats Domino Buddy Holly Enya II Divo and many many more. I only listen to happy and upbeat music now.

S

SadRainbow

I was thinking about 'Ordinary World' by Duran Duran yesterday.

It's sad but there is strength and hope in it too. I often tell myself:

"And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive."

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

I try not to listen to any sad songs at all as they can bring us down and then we feel worse, on my MP3 player that is on now with my headphones I have over 200 songs from different artists like Fats Domino Buddy Holly Enya II Divo and many many more. I only listen to happy and upbeat music now.
@Bod, while I like a lot of old rock and punk and 80's stuff I tend to listen to nighties and noughties trance and house dance floor bangers, very up beat and it reminds of the positivity of that period in my life.

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I do listen to a lot of upbeat music more than sad songs but sometimes I feel like I need the words I can’t find for myself. I have a real mix of everything in there to be honest 👍🏻

Bod

Bod

I think for music I have a very wide range and taste, never really liked punk apart from when Blondie came out I love a lot of songs even Patsy Cline.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@Bod I kind of like everything from Neil Diamond and Glenn Campbell to Death Metal and Industrial stuff. I'm also quite partial to 20's and 30's Delta Blues artists like Robert Johnson.

Talula67

Talula67

I feel so unwell today but I’ve been listening to music while I managed to change my bed and done some cleaning and I picked a random playlist on Spotify and a few songs just made me stop and listen to the words.

Sometimes I think we struggle to articulate what we what we want to say and maybe others have put it in to words for us and suddenly we’re like ‘yep that’s exactly it’.

A few of the lyrics that resonate right now..

Dark waters - Tones and I
“I get lost sometimes but if you ask I’ll say I’m doing just fine”
“Feel like I’ve been lost forever, I feel like I’ve been lost at sea, and don’t you try to find me cause the tide has pulled me deep”
“I don’t want to live forever in the sea, the tide keeps pulling me away from who I used to be, and I don’t wanna go cause I think I might just be the only person living in the sea”

Fly away - Tones and I
“No one knew how low I was feeling, I was scared to reach it at all, knowing I was here for a reason, but I was scared that if I tried I’d fall”

Falling - Harry Styles
“What am I now? What if I’m someone I don’t want around? I’m falling again”

Love lies - Khalid & Normani
“Don’t be afraid to tell me if you ain’t with it, I see you’re focused yeah you’re so independent, it’s hard for me to open up I’ll admit it, you’ve got some shit to say and I’m here to listen”
“If you’re down don’t hide it, feeling me you don’t gotta deny it, baby you gon’ make me overnight it, tell me are you down?”

What are some you guys have been listening to that explain how you feel?
Hi @KittyCat92
Thank you for starting this thread as it is pertinent to where I am at currently.

I think I've shared that since I lost my mum on 25th October 2019 and shortly after I split up with my ex - I haven't been able to listen or connect to that part inside me (I stopped listening to music) . Music like a lot of people is my medicine / passion.

The reason being as soon as I heard music I would cry hysterically and unable to stop. Until recently when I felt strong enough. I grabbed a few cd's and took them into the car on the way to the park and played this (I love to sing also) ... purely randomly put Birdy into the player.

I went to mums grave and although I felt strong emotions and filled up with tears I didn't breakdown. I was so happy that it comforted me and I was able to feel the love in my heart and not be scared to grieve.

Birdy - Wings

Sunlight comes creeping in
Illuminates our skin
We watch the day go by
Stories of all we did
It made me think of you
It made me think of you

Oh lights go down
In the moment we're lost and found
I just wanna be by your side
If these wings could fly
For the rest of our lives

I'm in a foreign state
My thoughts they slip away
My words are leaving me
They caught an aeroplane
Because I thought of you
Just for the thought of you

Oh lights go down

If these wings could fly..

S

SadRainbow

I seem to get very emotional about music too these days. Music has always been incredibly important to me. I miss it but most of the time it seems to just overwhelm me 🤷🏻‍♀️

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

Hi @KittyCat92
Thank you for starting this thread as it is pertinent to where I am at currently.

I think I've shared that since I lost my mum on 25th October 2019 and shortly after I split up with my ex - I haven't been able to listen or connect to that part inside me (I stopped listening to music) . Music like a lot of people is my medicine / passion.

The reason being as soon as I heard music I would cry hysterically and unable to stop. Until recently when I felt strong enough. I grabbed a few cd's and took them into the car on the way to the park and played this (I love to sing also) ... purely randomly put Birdy into the player.

I went to mums grave and although I felt strong emotions and filled up with tears I didn't breakdown. I was so happy that it comforted me and I was able to feel the love in my heart and not be scared to grieve.

Birdy - Wings

Sunlight comes creeping in
Illuminates our skin
We watch the day go by
Stories of all we did
It made me think of you
It made me think of you

Oh lights go down
If these wings could fly
For the rest of our lives

I'm in a foreign state
My thoughts they slip away
My words are leaving me
They caught an aeroplane
Because I thought of you
Just for the thought of you

Oh lights go down

If these wings could fly..

You’re very welcome Talula :hug1:

I really like that song. Music is so powerful and can actually be triggering, there are certain songs I cannot listen to. The same with certain smells, although some are unavoidable.

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I seem to get very emotional about music too these days. Music has always been incredibly important to me. I miss it but most of the time it seems to just overwhelm me 🤷🏻‍♀️
Is it only certain songs or is it music in general that overwhelms you? :hug1:

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

It can be triggering unfortunately, there’s certain songs I just cannot listen to, a couple in particular can make me feel panicky so I never listen to those anymore.

Talula67

Talula67

It can be triggering unfortunately, there’s certain songs I just cannot listen to, a couple in particular can make me feel panicky so I never listen to those anymore.
Hope you are you feeling a little bit better lovely - nothing worse than emotional pain when we are dealing with our stuff 🙏💜 You are in my thoughts Kitty.