• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Lying About Mental Health State at Work

S

Snowshoes68

My depression has affected my ability to work in the past but I've been able to hide it and I've never had any issues with deadlines. I've just had days when I couldn't do anything or I'd cry at work or I couldn't focus but no one ever knew because it wasn't reflected in the work I produced.

I'm filing out a health form and I'm not sure of the practical reason for the questionnaire but I get rewards for completing it so obviously I'm going to finish it! However, they ask questions about "have your felt depressed" and I always lie about it. It feels wrong, especially because I think I'm skewing some data they're collecting by lying. But mostly it makes me sad that I fear backlash if I'm honest about struggling.

T

treasurebox

It is always good to be honest. Honesty will lead to help and wellness. When people at your workplace will know that you are depressed I believ they will be more considerate for you. And you will feel better.

Argon

Argon

Can you opt out? Is your health any of their business as long as you can get your job done?

P

Purpleplum

I disagree with the statement by treasurebox: "when people at your workplace will know that you are depressed I believe they will be more considerate to you."

This in not true in 90% of the cases. If anything looks to them like it will affect your productivity that is what matters in business.
I would either say nothing or stay vague. Never put things in writing that could be used against you.

M

Mistral

These are intrusive questions. I would avoid answering them if you can. If you are doing a physical job and on medication that could make your job more dangerous, then your employer would need to know about it, but if not it is none of their business in my opinion.

S

Shay94

I've managed to hide my mental issues the whole time I've been working at my job but recently I've been declining is most aspects of my life. My work was getting affected, bosses seemed to think I was lying all the time, felt anxious bout doing some parts of it etc but eventually had to come clean. I told them everything couple of weeks ago explaining how my mental state has been growing up, almost no friends, my mother been thru cancer couple of times over the years which was 10x worse having 2 younger sisters to look after etc. Coz of my mental state, I ended up saying mean shit to a friend that was only trying to help me, I lost my temper etc n pushed her away as I felt like she wasn't being there for me enough during it, nor did I let her speak bout her problems when she needed it. So we now haven't spoken for bout 3 weeks, I sent a msg to apoloize but not sure if she's recieved my text so I'm now stuck waiting.... its killing me but I'm vowing myself to get better for everyone I care bout

Argon

Argon

I've managed to hide my mental issues the whole time I've been working at my job but recently I've been declining is most aspects of my life. My work was getting affected, bosses seemed to think I was lying all the time, felt anxious bout doing some parts of it etc but eventually had to come clean. I told them everything couple of weeks ago explaining how my mental state has been growing up, almost no friends, my mother been thru cancer couple of times over the years which was 10x worse having 2 younger sisters to look after etc. Coz of my mental state, I ended up saying mean shit to a friend that was only trying to help me, I lost my temper etc n pushed her away as I felt like she wasn't being there for me enough during it, nor did I let her speak bout her problems when she needed it. So we now haven't spoken for bout 3 weeks, I sent a msg to apoloize but not sure if she's recieved my text so I'm now stuck waiting.... its killing me but I'm vowing myself to get better for everyone I care bout
I think it's better to stop caring about other people.

P

Prycejosh1987

I'm filing out a health form and I'm not sure of the practical reason for the questionnaire but I get rewards for completing it so obviously I'm going to finish it! However, they ask questions about "have your felt depressed" and I always lie about it. It feels wrong, especially because I think I'm skewing some data they're collecting by lying. But mostly it makes me sad that I fear backlash if I'm honest about struggling.
Never feel bad about being honest, its good to be honest. Always.