• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Lowering antipsychotic without psychiatrist's supervision

U

Underdog21

Hi,

I am planning to lower my Risperidone without my psychiatrist supervision and after one week I plan to reduce it more. I have been trying to see someone on the NHS but they are taking too long. Is this too risky? I am also on lithium. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

2Much2Feel

Hey. All I can say is that it's risky, every time I've done it on my own, it's gotten crazy. Be careful and do it slowly. Good luck :)

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Actually a good idea. I may follow suit. I have been referred too but they are so slow and useless.
I am on olanzapine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Passionflower

Passionflower

I don't know if it's a good idea in the long run, but you are reducing it too quickly IMO

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

O

On Fire

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Lowering ones own antipsychotic medication is super risky.

G

Ginger Kitten

Really bad idea. It's hard enough to do with supervision. Don't do it, that's my advice.

Wishbone

Wishbone

No, don't do it. You're in the process of getting settled on Lithium, now is not the time to be tweaking other meds. You need to be keeping everything as is so you can all (yourself and those evaluating you) can see what is and what isn't working for you. Be sensible.

G

Gratefultobewell

Bad idea. Bring up your concerns to your Dr., maybe he/she and you could make a plan as to what can be done safely.

U

Underdog21

No, don't do it. You're in the process of getting settled on Lithium, now is not the time to be tweaking other meds. You need to be keeping everything as is so you can all (yourself and those evaluating you) can see what is and what isn't working for you. Be sensible.
Thanks Wishbone, I think your answer makes sense.

HLon99

HLon99

Yeah, I would avoid doing this without consulting a doctor. Reducing or withdrawing from antipsychotics has to be done on a slow taper under medical supervison or you run the risk of developing nasty withdrawal symptoms including but not limited to dizziness, vomiting, shakiness, anxiety, insomnia, depression and even possibly rebound mania/psychosis. Best to wait.

M

Mav2126

I would agree with everyone else. Don't do it. Every time I did it I was thrown into massive depression and anxiety. I am never going to lower my medication again unless my doctor tells me to. I even lowered it under doctor supervision and it was a disaster and caused a new depressive episode. I am on drugs for life and that is it.

Jam1990

Jam1990

I’d be patient and wait on proper supervision.

U

Underdog21

I would agree with everyone else. Don't do it. Every time I did it I was thrown into massive depression and anxiety. I am never going to lower my medication again unless my doctor tells me to. I even lowered it under doctor supervision and it was a disaster and caused a new depressive episode. I am on drugs for life and that is it.
Can I ask what medication you were on? I am on anti-psychotics and a mood stabilizer and my doctor actually recommended to increase my anti-psychotic to deal with suicidal thoughts and depression.

AlrightOkay

AlrightOkay

The change in my anti psychotics have caused me side effects. I would speak with your gp first and talk about reducing them. Atleast if you cant get to speak with your psychiatrist sooner.