• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Low Vitamin D Permeates All Stages of Psychosis

F

firemonkee57

British researchers have found a correlation between low vitamin D levels and poorer function and mood in first-onset psychosis patients after 1 year.

Among 166 patients at first onset of psychosis (64% male), about 19% had sufficient vitamin D levels (>20 ng/mL), 40% had insufficient levels, (10 to 20 ng/mL) and 42% were deficient (<10 ng/mL), according to Fiona Gaughran, MD, at the Institute of Psychiatry in London, and colleagues.

Low levels at presentation were found to be associated with Global Assessment of Function (GAF) scores (r=.29, P=0.02), with poorer function (r=0.33, P=0.05), and with higher Calgary Depression scores (r=-0.43, P=0.01), they reported at the 2015 International Congress on Schizophrenia Research in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Also, when levels were measured at 12 months, low levels were correlated with Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS) positive scores (r=-0.34, P=0.03) and quality of life (r=0.33, P=0.02) using the EQ-5D measurement.

"Vitamin D levels are extremely low at all stages of psychosis," the authors wrote. "Low vitamin D is linked to quality of life, mood, and cardiometabolic risk in established psychosis and highlights the need for holistic management of psychosis."

Low Vitamin D Permeates All Stages of Psychosis | Medpage Today

Eldritch

Eldritch

Wow, going to have to being this up with my therapist. During my first psychotic break, I had very low deficiencies in lots of vitamins, particularily Vitamin d, iron , and potassium. Though I am 50% sure the psychosis dodnt cause it for me, as I was going through an eating disorder.
Thank you for the find. It is super helpful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Psychosis Forum 31