• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Low serotonin is mythical cause of depression, says psychiatry professor

F

firemonkee57

Low serotonin is mythical cause of depression, says psychiatry professor

The idea that depression is caused by low levels of serotonin and that certain antidepressants raise the levels of this neurotransmitter, is a myth, according to a professor of psychiatry writing an editorial article in The BMJ.

Prof. David Healy - author of the 2004 book Let Them Eat Prozac: The Unhealthy Relationship Between the Pharmaceutical Industry and Depression - argues in the journal's latest issue that selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) have never shown any correlation between a potency of serotonin effect and treatment of depression.

Prof. Healy writes that, in the 1990s: "No one knew if SSRIs raised or lowered serotonin levels; they still don't know. There was no evidence that treatment corrected anything."

Low serotonin is mythical cause of depression, says psychiatry professor Medical News Today

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

So how comes SSRI's work?
And I know about the placebo effect, but there have been times when i've taken SSRI's whilst believing they'll make no difference, and yet I felt brighter?

The whole thing is very confusing. I think treating depression is very hit and miss, as is identifying its cause.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Taffy Depression Forum 2
jajingna Depression Forum 4
K Depression Forum 26
E Depression Forum 6
J Depression Forum 9