• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Low mood for a few days

jajingna

jajingna

Had some pretty bad anxiety lately, worse than average. Sleep's been not so good. Think depression may be setting in which is probably a better feeling at least right now, than the bloody anxiety can be. Thinking of calling up the clinic, see a doctor. Maybe get back on Zoloft. Was doing OK without for months. Seems these old issues have a way of returning. Would like some counseling but doubt that's in the cards. Obsessive thoughts have been troubling me too.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I'm sorry your sleep has not been so good. That affects me a great deal, and it seems that a lot of people with anxiety/depression have this same problem.

Fairy Fountain

Fairy Fountain

I think seeing a doctor would be a good idea. I remember when I stopped taking my medication I felt fine until suddenly dealing with anxiety again. I hope you find something that helps you.

T

treasurebox

It will be good to see a doctor.

Know that there will be better days for you. Create happy moments because happiness is a choice.

Do not overthink everything will be alright.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

It will be good to see a doctor.

Know that there will be better days for you. Create happy moments because happiness is a choice.

Do not overthink everything will be alright.
I don't think happiness is a choice when you're suffering from severe depression. It's like when people say to you, "Well, can't you just snap out of it?" They're really saying, "Be happy!" No, I don't think so.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Sorry you have been feeling low lately. Here’s hoping it’s just a bump in the road. xo, j

jajingna

jajingna

Is one week long enough to know it's depression? Feels like it's happening, mild to moderate level. Just don't feel engaged, have a bleak outlook, not interested in doing anything, gotta force myself a bit to do stuff. It's not just self-pity. I can feel it mentally like the brain is burned out from things.

1613143625083.png

jajingna

jajingna

Been a solid week or so, yeah, it's not just clearing up either, I think it's going on for sure. I'm still functioning OK, but the attention span and interest level in things have been sketchy. Strange to say in some ways it's sort of nice in a way, occasionally? -- not really pleasant, but I'm curious to learn things about myself, and a depressed mood can bring out things I wasn't aware of.

I've heard a depressed person can have a more accurate way of looking at some things. Not sure what that means. Like better able to assess his own ability or something like that. And non-depressed people will overestimate themselves, for example in driving skill or how they did on a test. The average person assumes he is above average or that his performance was better than objective measures show.

And the sadness sometimes makes things look more beautiful than usual. The trees and even all that snow, and we really have a lot of snow just like every winter here. I recall this happening before when starting the meds as I've gone on and off them a bunch of times, how when the depression lifted a little it was quite pleasant sorta dreamlike, thanks to the drug of course.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Been a solid week or so, yeah, it's not just clearing up either, I think it's going on for sure. I'm still functioning OK, but the attention span and interest level in things have been sketchy. Strange to say in some ways it's sort of nice in a way, occasionally? -- not really pleasant, but I'm curious to learn things about myself, and a depressed mood can bring out things I wasn't aware of.

I've heard a depressed person can have a more accurate way of looking at some things. Not sure what that means. Like better able to assess his own ability or something like that. And non-depressed people will overestimate themselves, for example in driving skill or how they did on a test. The average person assumes he is above average or that his performance was better than objective measures show.

And the sadness sometimes makes things look more beautiful than usual. The trees and even all that snow, and we really have a lot of snow just like every winter here. I recall this happening before when starting the meds as I've gone on and off them a bunch of times, how when the depression lifted a little it was quite pleasant sorta dreamlike, thanks to the drug of course.
I like the saying, "The average person assumes he is above average." It was said in either a movie or book. It's a quote from Garrison Keillor: "Welcome to Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average."

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

It's The Lake Wobegon effect:
The characterization that "all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average" has been used to describe a real and pervasive human tendency to overestimate one's achievements and capabilities in relation to others.

jajingna

jajingna

"The average person assumes he is above average."
Saw something that said like 2/3 of Americans believe their intelligence is above average. I don't drive a car, but have heard it's common for people to think they are better than average drivers too, but also that there are so many bad drivers on the roads.

Psychologists might have a term or two for this sort of stuff, like "the better-than-average effect" or something, or "illusory superiority" was another one.

Jam1990

Jam1990

Had some pretty bad anxiety lately, worse than average. Sleep's been not so good. Think depression may be setting in which is probably a better feeling at least right now, than the bloody anxiety can be. Thinking of calling up the clinic, see a doctor. Maybe get back on Zoloft. Was doing OK without for months. Seems these old issues have a way of returning. Would like some counseling but doubt that's in the cards. Obsessive thoughts have been troubling me too.
I feel for you. Being in a low mood is not just a miserable place to be, but it’s also kind of scary because you never know if it’s the beginning of another major depressive episode that lasts long. The only advice that helps for myself is to just keep doing at least one thing each day that you would normally enjoy. I find that it can help pull me back into some form of contentment. Sending positive energy your way!!

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I hope you feel better soon.
Does anyone know the username of the person who said these comments? I forget the username, but I'd like to help this person if I can. Here are the tidbits of what he/she said. The first tidbit is not the exact wording (I accidentally deleted the exact wording):

"My username is truly random."
I think your username was a subconscious choice.

"The last few days I've been feeling extremely bored, just being in my room all day..."

"I have so many things to do and I don't really want to do anything."

"Then she told me about how my behavior changed..."

"I don't have any symptoms for it yet."

"I just notice that I've changed a small bit too."

"I just feel like something bad is happening in my brain."

"I know it's not that easy to get depression."

You may want to talk to a psychologist or psychiatrist. You're smart. You may need to follow up on what you're thinking/feeling. And It is easy to develop depression. It can start out as situational depression and progress to what you are currently thinking/feeling.