• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Low, low, low.

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Supposed to go back to work (in the NHS) this week, didn't manage it. Just don't have the strength to "put on the work mask". Feeling very low. Worried about losing my job now over sick time. Saw my GP this morning and she has upped my venlafaxine to 300mg per day, two in the morning and two at night. She has also referred me back to psychiatry as she feels that the group psycotherapy isn't doing much good. Don't want to bring everyone down but I feel desperately unhappy, sorry.:cry:

D

Dollit

We're not fair weather friends here. We don't expect you to just give us the good times. We do support each other here and that includes you. So if you want to talk about it then do. :hug:

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Sorry your feeling low today, is it the thought of going back to work thats adding to your depression. Work can be very stressful maybe you just need a bit longer to get yourself ready to go back:hug:

Take care

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Hope the increase in the venlafaxine works. I'm on 150mg and am having it reviewed soon as I don't think it works so maybe they will up the dose.
Take care

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
When the venlafaxine worked well for me I used to get a sort of "thrill" running through my chest about a quarter of an hour after taking it, don't get anything now.

I also don't think I'm ready to return to work yet, but the pressure to return and the threat of losing my job puts me in a sort of catch 22 situation.:unsure:

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
How long have you been off work?Have you been referred by work to occupational health? the NHS as an employer should be doing this if they havn't already. If you are still not well and having medication reviewed I wouldn't have thought they could say you are well enough to return yet.

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
This time I have been signed of for four weeks. But I have been of for about 40 days in the past year and the NHS start hassling if you have more than 4.7% sick time (apparently thats the public sector average). In the operating theatres in my trust the average sick time is running at 19%, unfortunately nobody at management level seems to ask why this is. They just give you a sickness meeting and then review you every three months, if they see no improvement they begin, what they call, capability process, which basically means you are on your way out. Personal circumstances, individual long standing health problems or the disability discrimination act don't seem to enter the equation; the NHS is all about targets these days not people. This not withstanding I am not going down without a fight.:evil:

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
They could be open to lots of employment tribunal actions against them. They don't sound very enlightened.

L

little me

Founding Member
Ohhh Blackdog... so sorry to hear you ar feeling low hun...:hug:

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Thanks little me, I'm actually feeling a bit better today. Could be the med changes, plus, I think, all the support of people in the forum.:)

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Glad to see you are feeling better

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Sorry to hear about your work situation blackdog - but you have exactly the right attitude :clap:. However I know that it can be hard to fight when you are feeling crap; are you getting any support? From a union or an Advocacy service?

And pleased that you are feeling a bit better yourself :).

Nick.

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Thanks nickh, I have got my union involved already and have a rep who attends all meetings with me and my GP is good. You're right though it can be difficult and I am not sure how I will cope when I'm low but I've to fight, if only for my wife and kids.:)