• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Loving-kindness meditation can decrease PTSD

• Thread starter Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale
  • Start date
M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

I suffer from a lot of trauma stemming from intense childhood abuse. Due to my trauma, I not only hated my abusers but was indifferent to most people.

I've been practising mindfulness meditation for a year or so now using the Waking Up app. I started practising loving-kindness meditation (Metta) last night using the same app, and I think it does make one more compassionate. I also found research that this practice can decrease PTSD:

P

PixieDuster

Meditation is a wonderful tool in recovery and coping

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

Meditation is a wonderful tool in recovery and coping
It is! I was always skeptical about the whole idea of sitting cross-legged focusing on the breath, but there are scientifically proven benefits.

arihiandco

arihiandco

I'm Buddhist and I love meditating too!
I'm currently struggling with my anxiety and CPTSD, but I find the concepts of wisdom, loving-kindness and compassion of Buddhist theories and practices help a great deal.
Not only does it help me breathe, but I am able to open my mind to a bigger view of the world and all its occurrences. As much as I want to cry and complain about the pain, I am able to find lessons and gratitude in every single wound that's built me stronger and more compassionate :)