• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Loved ones with addictions

AC_77

AC_77

Hi all! I am not new to addiction. While growing up both of my parents abused alcohol and various drugs. I have cousins who are addicted to pills, cocaine, marijuana etc. I am now in a relationship with a man who has an addiction to cocaine. It wasn't always the case. We've been together for 6 years now. For the first 3-4 years he never did anything except drink. Where we live, it seems to be a pretty common drug. I never touch drugs myself and have never personally been in the grasp of addiction. He currently uses a few times a week. He can't go out to drink without using. I am so terrified for him. I worked very hard to get away from this life when I was younger .. What can I do to help him? To help me deal with his addictions better? I have been dealing with depression and anxiety myself and worrying about him makes it a lot worse. He is also suffering from depression due to the drug use. Any suggestions ?

A

ashesunbroken

I would suggest both of you getting help and talking to someone. Sadly, it happens often that those who grow up with parents who are addicts either become on themselves or end up dating someone who is. Its what you are used to.

I would suggest talking to a therapist or going to an Alanon meeting to get support and learn skills to help you cope yourself and share your worries and concerns.