• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Lost my job and spiralling into depression

Star_light

Star_light

So I suffer with anxiety and depression anyway but due to recent events I feel like I’m completely drowning.

I worked as a housekeeper for a couple for a year. I basically ran their lives, travel arrangements, shopping, took care of their kids, nursed the wife after an operation. Anyway, they said due to the current pandemic I’m a luxury that they just can’t afford anymore and made me redundant two days ago. I had absolutely no warning that this was happening. The husband came and told me at 12 o clock and by 12:10 I was on my way home. The wife hasn’t spoken to me at all, not a goodbye, a text or email. Nothing. This has hit me so hard. I feel so lost and betrayed by how they handled it. I know everything is tough for everyone at the moment but they made me do a days work and then I was told ‘ok bye.’ I feel so hurt and I cannot seem to get over it. I am so deeply depressed and can not get out of this black hole. I’m hurting badly.

Antimatter

Antimatter

Blimey, that is awful. How heartless.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Yeah. I mean i know I’m not the only one to have lost my job recently but it’s just the way it was done. It felt almost cruel
It felt cruel because you were a good caregiver and emotionally invested in your work and the situation. You were proud of the work you did that they clearly took for granted. In my years work as a caregiver the same was very common. It’s very sad to realize that in the end you just weren’t appreciated as much as you deserved to be. It was arrogant and cruel how they let you go like that. You are better off without employers like that raining down on your life. :hug:

K

karl7

So I suffer with anxiety and depression anyway but due to recent events I feel like I’m completely drowning.

I worked as a housekeeper for a couple for a year. I basically ran their lives, travel arrangements, shopping, took care of their kids, nursed the wife after an operation. Anyway, they said due to the current pandemic I’m a luxury that they just can’t afford anymore and made me redundant two days ago. I had absolutely no warning that this was happening. The husband came and told me at 12 o clock and by 12:10 I was on my way home. The wife hasn’t spoken to me at all, not a goodbye, a text or email. Nothing. This has hit me so hard. I feel so lost and betrayed by how they handled it. I know everything is tough for everyone at the moment but they made me do a days work and then I was told ‘ok bye.’ I feel so hurt and I cannot seem to get over it. I am so deeply depressed and can not get out of this black hole. I’m hurting badly.
im sorry to hear that starlight....it might be a blessing to move on to a bettter worklife after lockdown....

Star_light

Star_light

I hope so. Just the thought of going through the whole interview process and getting a new job etc fills me with absolute dread.

K

karl7

i know how you feel...i havent worked since i was 20 am 44 now, so know how interviews can be hard.....

Star_light

Star_light

i know how you feel...i havent worked since i was 20 am 44 now, so know how interviews can be hard.....
I get so uncomfortable in new situations and have this massive fear of getting things wrong in a new job. Once I’ve been there a while I settle in more and I’m ok. But the whole process and the thought of meeting all the new people and trying to make friends etc God it makes me feel a bit sick

P

PerpetuallyStuck

Just the thought of going through the whole interview process and getting a new job etc fills me with absolute dread.
This is what i try to explain to the Job Centre. They never understand that it isn't that I cannot be bothered to work, it is the constant rejection and hassle of having to visit places I've never visited, meeting new people, having to wait and find out (usually a letter saying they don't want me, months after applying/inteviews).

Why they can't actually bring businesses on board to reach out to unemployed people and make it more personal I don't know. Work coaches know certain people and could recommend "the most competent" people to give certain jobs a go. If I had a reasonable opportunity, I'd take it. Nobody ever offers me a thing, it's always me that has to approach.

Star_light

Star_light

It also makes me mad because I want to work. I like working but when something like this happens, especially to someone with a mental health disorder the rejection is often judt too much to take. I feel like I’m going through a break up! The only silver lining is that generally what goes around comes around (karma) and in a months time I know I will be wondering why I ever got upset

Antimatter

Antimatter

The only silver lining is that generally what goes around comes around (karma) and in a months time I know I will be wondering why I ever got upset
Take that as a positive, you are a caring and sensitive loving soul x

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Give it a few days, and pick yourself up dear. You are a strong person to support their lives like that. I imaging they were ashamed, which is why the wife could not speak to you, it was her shame.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and get your sword dear.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
You didn't deserve to be treated like that, maybe the wife was upset or ashamed.
Finances are hard for lots at the minute, hope you find work soon.
I'm sure you have lots of skills, you can do this.
I know interviews are hard.
Hugs

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

I'm so sorry starlight, I do hope you find something better than that, if you was nearer to me i'd try and get you a job where i work :hug: