• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

lost and alone when in the best of company

sahasrara

sahasrara

I can't talk to my bf, I don't know how to deal with it.
Mindless chit chat, debates about the world and all that I can do, but me talking about me, how I feel, what I want and being asked questions is almost impossible, it's like the words all just jumble up or fall out of my head. Its so frustrating because he then thinks I'm purposely hiding things from him. Then he gets stroppy even tho he says he's not, I can feel it which in turn makes me not want to talk.
I don't know what to do. I started therapy but only had 3 sessions as I've moved house and no longer under the mental health team from that area and no referral has come through yet, I've self referred via doctors website but nothing yet.
Anyone else struggle to talk?

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Oh my days..... Yes!
My words get trapped inside my head and won't come out - I always just manage to utter 'fine' it's so frustrating!

bluemoon2

bluemoon2

On my bad days, yes. I find it very hard to talk about myself or more than a select few subjects - it all seems to be repetition and one-sided on my bad days when it comes to conversation.

sahasrara

sahasrara

I don't know how to break this tho, even in therapy going through role play of conversations I didn't know how to even bring a subject up. It's almost like I've lost my self confidence. and on here too I read posts and want to reply but it's too difficult to sort my words. I've been told my text are blunt and seem stroppy because I just try to get the information across and never know what else to put. it puts a massive strain on my relationship with my partner. I can chat all day to a stranger or friend about stuff but the moment it comes down to feelings or anything personal it just all clams up in my head and I forget stuff.

Kerome

Kerome

That must be really frustrating as a condition, it kind of makes me wonder if there is some kind of unworthiness complex at the root of it. Perhaps it would be easier to start a journal and talk there about yourself, your deep thoughts, desires and things? Just as a kind of practicing for talking about it in reality.